Lawyer Billing Question... Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer Billing Question... Florida

Hey everyone, My hubby has temp custody of his daughter. His lawyer never sat him down and gave him the charges that he will incur or how he is billed and what to pay. He has every month paid payments that he could. We got a letter in the mail the other day saying you have one week to pay your account in full or I will withdrawal you as a client. So he went up there and paid $100.00 on it. Making the new balance $354.00. Then a week later he got another paper saying we have made a courtdate to withdrawal you and if you pay in full we will think about cancelling the court date. So right before Christmas and while all the bills were due he took them the whole amount. The secretary told him that they were even and for him to continue making payments so he can build a credit towards going back for full custody. Ok so 3 days after he pays that amount we get another bill saying he owes another $188.00 for charges that hadnt been invoiced til now. We havent called them or faxed them or any way contacted them for there to be more charges and she should not have told him they were even and then 3 days later we got a bill from 3 days before he made that payment that he still owes money.

That was just a little bit of the story the question I have is they are billing him $50.00 for his ex (Pro se) calling him and talking for .25 hrs. She called with lies about him trying to get OUR lawyer on her side. Crazy I know!!! Anyways, should he be entitled to pay that, because he did not authorize that, he should bill her. That is not our problem that she called him. Which in turn caused him to call us and talk to me on the phone for 30 minutes charging another $100.00. This all happened before we got the first bill (just so you understand) So I dont think he should be liable. What are the laws and rules for this. Please someone help, he is going to have to pay soon.

he never signed a retainer agreement? also if mom is causing attorney fees to be higher than what they normally would dad's lawyer can certainly ask the judge that she be responsible to pay dad's legal fees, although that is not commonly awarded- keep in mind that if she had a lawyer...the lawyers would be contacting each other and both parties would be incurring fees
    http://www.gestaltmediation.com/

Comment

If the ex is Pro Se, then his lawyer probably has to take her phone calls. The calls between your husband's lawyer and your his ex is probably considered the same thing as his laywer talking to her lawyer (if she had one). A laywer does bill for communicating with opposing counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle523 View Post
        Hey everyone, My hubby has temp custody of his daughter. His lawyer never sat him down and gave him the charges that he will incur or how he is billed and what to pay. He has every month paid payments that he could. We got a letter in the mail the other day saying you have one week to pay your account in full or I will withdrawal you as a client. So he went up there and paid $100.00 on it. Making the new balance $354.00. Then a week later he got another paper saying we have made a courtdate to withdrawal you and if you pay in full we will think about cancelling the court date. So right before Christmas and while all the bills were due he took them the whole amount. The secretary told him that they were even and for him to continue making payments so he can build a credit towards going back for full custody. Ok so 3 days after he pays that amount we get another bill saying he owes another $188.00 for charges that hadnt been invoiced til now. We havent called them or faxed them or any way contacted them for there to be more charges and she should not have told him they were even and then 3 days later we got a bill from 3 days before he made that payment that he still owes money.

That was just a little bit of the story the question I have is they are billing him $50.00 for his ex (Pro se) calling him and talking for .25 hrs. She called with lies about him trying to get OUR lawyer on her side. Crazy I know!!! Anyways, should he be entitled to pay that, because he did not authorize that, he should bill her. That is not our problem that she called him. Which in turn caused him to call us and talk to me on the phone for 30 minutes charging another $100.00. This all happened before we got the first bill (just so you understand) So I dont think he should be liable. What are the laws and rules for this. Please someone help, he is going to have to pay soon.
        Does his lawyer know about what his office is doing? Sometimes those decisions are made without the lawyers knowledge. The amount owed is so small it's crazy that they are threatening to drop him as a client. He can try talking directly to the lawyer, maybe if the lawyer were to be reminded that ex isn't paying any CS, if she was Dad would have more money to pay the lawyer. So, in a way, it's the lawyer's own delay in going for the CS that is making it hard for him to be paid.

Even though ex is pro-se, his attorney is not under any LEGAL obligation to speak to ex on the phone. The lawyer needs to send ex a letter stating that all communication shall be via mail and he should also file for ex to pay at least all of the costs related to ex's phone calls.

How did that other situation work out? Have the ex's parents actually filed anyhting yet?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X