payin too much for child support Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• payin too much for child support Georgia

Ok my husband is currently deployed and his ex wife is getting 840 for one child. when they divorced she put in the divorce decree 840 and drug the divorce out for a year. Our son passed in june and still she is evil. We have bills we are behind on and she could care less. she has no bills but her car payment, living with friends and doesn't buy my step-son anything. How can my husband take her to court or what can he do from Iraq? We seriously need help. She makes more than he does plus the support he sends her.

As he is in Iraq, it's going to be hard (if not impossible) to get this handled right now.

Sooo, when he gets back, how long will it have been since the child support order went into effect or was last modified? Has there been a substantial change in earnings? I know you said that she earns more than he does, but is that a recent development, or was she always earning more?

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your son.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

This is his plan

Well it will have been since may 06 and he's going to lower it himself and go to court in march on his r&r. yes we will have to pay back child support but by then we will be able to afford it. we've researched the soliers sailors act and she can't do anything until he gets back anyways. the courts are going to laugh at her and lower it anyways. so it's all good now. thank you for your condolences. it's been a hard road and i'm trying to work through losing my son and my husband leaving to iraq in the same year. God has a plan for me.

Comment

You could also have your husband sign a power of atty... that way you could represent him in legal matters and attempt to lower the Child support. He could always call the the child support agency and ask for a review or a modification. You could fill out the paperwork and handle in while he is away if you had a power of atty.

Comment

If the order was set in May of 2006, unless there has been an extraordinary change of circumstances, it is too soon to modify the order.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          (unique up on him)
          (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinamuck View Post
            You could also have your husband sign a power of atty... that way you could represent him in legal matters and attempt to lower the Child support. You could fill out the paperwork and handle in while he is away if you had a power of atty.
            That idea may not work, OP needs to consult with an attorney first.

When my hubby was on strong pain meds after an injury, he gave me power of attorney specifically so that I could sign and file legal papers for him. To make a long story short, I was very rudely informed by the CSE's attorney that even as a wife with POA, I could face charges of practicing law without a license for even attemping to use the POA in legal matters. Anyway, it scared the heck out of me and I hate the idea of someone else going thru that, so I always advise people to consult an attorney before getting a POA.

Comment

... I thought that the whole concept behind the power of atty is so that if the person was not able to represent him/herself that the other person could handle things for them as an individual. My mom signed a power of atty for my grandma years ago when she moved out of state so that certain matters could be handled while she was away. Years later my mom had a power of atty while her husband was stationed in Korea... again she filed legal documents on his behalf.
              I would imagane that the OP's husband could consult a military atty as it would seem that it would be a common problem for spouses of soldiers to need a power of atty.

Comment

Originally posted by jim_bo
                I don't understand... if your son passed away, why is the bio Mom looking for child support??

Also, in Georgia, the law is really clear. Child support is 17 - 23% of the non custodial parent's income. It is almost always 17%. If your husband's income is less than $59k, then you have an argument. However, if he makes $59k or more, then $840 is the right number and you need to leave it alone.

Jimbo
                First, this is an old thread. Please do not post on old subjects.

Second, the posters biological son with her husband passed away. The step son is still living with his biological mother.

Comment

Both the threads you replied to were over 6 weeks old.

I tried being nice in the PM, but you seem to have a big chip.

Try to get along with everyone.

At the top of the screen is a link to "new posts" Please go through those. There are plenty of current problems to deal with.

Comment

I see your title is "senior member", not moderator. If you are not a board administrator with policy authority, then you are simply offering advice that I am not interested in. If you are an administrator, then you can simply lock the thread. Either way, can you show me the policy that says only "current" posts can be replied to. If not, this issue is between me and the original poster. But, thanks anyway for trying to be the conscience for other people.

Jimbo

OP has not been here for 7 weeks.

I guess you put me in my place!

I just can't wate untill school starts again. Then I will be back on the other side of the desk from ones such as yourself.

Comment

Really? You sound kinda bossy to be a student.
                      I specialize in problem children. Next week it is 5th grade. See you there!

Comment

I said "problem" not special needs.

I could never mistake you for a special needs child. They are sweet and grateful to people for pointing out a mistake. They also appriciate help.

Go argue on some other forum. you are not contributing here, when you will not learn and only twist and jab at posters.

As for me, I will just put you on "ignore" If I send you to detention, I will only have to deal with you all day.

Comment

Okay, I will point out that the OP (frustratedwifee) has not been on this forum since 11-8-2006. I doubt that she will be reading your advice. (Not to mention that you did not offer her any advice that she could use if she HAD been here.) Her husband is deployed. Nothing can be done, by either party, until he returns stateside...as was pointed out and she discovered. Her SON (not her stepson) passed away, and she was asking about the support paid by her husband to his ex for support of her step child.

The reason you are asked not to respond to dead threads is that it revives a thread that the OP has no more interest in and is confusing and annoying to us to waste time on a thread that has already been asked, answered, and discussed, when there are so many new ones to read. If you really must necropost, make sure you have relevant NEW information to provide.
                          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                          (unique up on him)
                          (same way)

Comment

...and you know this by what means of enlightenment?

Well, click on her name, go to view user profile and check her last activity (the last time she logged in).

Which is why this is NOT a dead post. She indicated that they will be using the protections provided under the Sailor/Soldiers Civil Relief Act to delay actions until he returns. Also, I did not really offer advice, only some clarity as to how child support is calculated in GA. While the OP was concerned that $840 was excessive, she did not indicate why. I have some experience with child support in GA. It is a very sanitary and non-subjective method. It is very likely that she simply didn't understand how it is calculated.

That's not what she asked for. She asked what could be done.

OK... I'll admit... I have never heard the term "necropost." Very cute. I'll be impressed if you thought of that yourself. However, I think that 1) the post is NOT dead and 2) the information I provided here was NEW and relevant. And even if it wasn't, I think that is an issue between me and the OP. I really don't understand why there are so many self-appointed post-police officers on this site!!! If you guys are so concerned about letting dead posts die, then why do you keep trying to chastise me in this thread thereby sending it to the top each time? Why not just let it die like you obviously want it to?

Jimbo
                            I explained why. It's not just you that is asked to not necropost. We all have been at one time or another. It just makes it easier to keep the threads straight. You are being responded to because you keep engaging others. If you leave them alone, nobody will say anything. We ALL are guilty of reviving dead threads. (I accidentally do it all the time) When I stop and look at the dates of the thread, I delete my responses.

And, no, I read the term "necropost" somewhere else a long time ago, and it stuck. I have no idea who coined the phrase, but hopefully, it's not protected by copyright!!!
                            Last edited by mommyof4; 12-27-2006, 09:33 AM.
                            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                            (unique up on him)
                            (same way)

Comment

I'll engage you... you are a jerk with a bizzare superiority complex and desperate need to have the last word.

I eagerly await your reply, to which I will not respond so that your ego does not suffer again by being forced to come up with yet another witty retort.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X