Is there any help out there? Nevada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any help out there? Nevada

I have custody of my 15 yr old. nephew and wondering if there is any help I can get. He has been able to get medicaid. Is there anything else? I hadn't realized how expensive a 15 yr. old would be. Any help would be great thanks. G.

Have you filed for child support? His parents should be held legally responible for contributing to his financial support.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

No

No I have not gone after any money from the parents because there is none to be had. The father is in jail and the mother does not work! As you can see why I took him. I will live without the help just thought that if any was available it would be helpful. He is thriving in our home. Has gone from getting expelled last few years and kicked out constantly to earning all A's in none the less but honors classes which I insisted upon. So anywho, parents have never been and are no HELP! Great idea though, if this situation was even somewhat normal. Any other ideas>>>===???

Comment

Originally posted by ginahg View Post
        No I have not gone after any money from the parents because there is none to be had. The father is in jail and the mother does not work! As you can see why I took him. I will live without the help just thought that if any was available it would be helpful. He is thriving in our home. Has gone from getting expelled last few years and kicked out constantly to earning all A's in none the less but honors classes which I insisted upon. So anywho, parents have never been and are no HELP! Great idea though, if this situation was even somewhat normal. Any other ideas>>>===???
        Have you tried getting public assistance? If not, it's worth a try- they can't shoot you for applying.

You definately need to file for CS from the mother, it doesn't matter that she doesn't work- she has a child and a LEGAL responsibility to support that child. Although you may get very little in CS the state WILL make her pay. Contact your states child support enforcement agency to get things started.

Comment

In reply to you wonderful people

I will be more specific. I have custody of him because I was able to convince her to give it to me. I simply wrote a letter stating that I, his aunt was given full custody. The letter was then signed by a notary. The reason I have not gone to her other than knowing she has nothing is that I am afraid to put him (the great boy) at risk of her wanting to take him back. He states that he is happy for the first time he can remember. Hos household was horrifically abusive, mentally and physically. The child is also concerned about his father getting out of prison next year and trying to get custody of him. So because of all this I tend to tread lightly with the mother. I will call the state department and see what could be done. I had a couple of lawyers tell me that since the child will be 16 in FEB. 07 that after that the parents would not have control over where he lives and that even a judge would simply ask him what he wants. Anyone have experience with that? Thanks so much in advance. Gina

Comment

So, you do not have legal custody of him? If that is the case, there is not going to be much you can do. A notarized letter is not a legally binding document for custody or legal guardianship. You are going to have to either get her to agree to give you LEGAL guardianship or cusotdy or file in court for custody. As he has been living with you, you have a better chance of being successful if you have to file, but there are no guarantees. Has the mother kept in contact with him? If not, look into filing for custody based on abandonment. As it stands, either of his parents would be within their rights to demand that he return to live with them. (Sucks, I know)

He can only decide where to live once he reaches the age of 18, unless he has the consent of his parent(s) or a court order for legal emancipation.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
            (unique up on him)
            How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
            (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X