Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child is now pregnant, still in HS 18yrs. Illinois

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I think, that if it were me in this situation, I would go ahead and just file for emancipation. The worst that can happen is that the answer will be no.

    This is a really screwy situation. I don't blame your husband for feeling like he should not be responsible for child support anymore. Let us know what happens.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mommyof4 View Post
      I think, that if it were me in this situation, I would go ahead and just file for emancipation. The worst that can happen is that the answer will be no.

      This is a really screwy situation. I don't blame your husband for feeling like he should not be responsible for child support anymore. Let us know what happens.

      Can he file for emancipation or does the child do that? Thanks for your response.

      Comment


      • #18
        sorry, I wasn't really clear. I meant that he should file to end child support (emancipation from child support). At 18, she is already legally emancipated. She can live where ever she wants. As she has moved out of her custodial parent's home (not withstanding the fact that her mother has essentially moved in with HER), I would think that your husband has a decent shot of having child support stopped.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

        Comment


        • #19
          Spoke to an attorney today and he said as long as she is in school he'll have to pay until 19.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Bliss1234 View Post
            Spoke to an attorney today and he said as long as she is in school he'll have to pay until 19.
            It shouldn't cost much to get a second opinion. In every state CS will end if the NCP can prove that the CP is no longer supporting the "child". In your husband's situation the "child" certainly appears to be supporting the CP. I sure hope it works out for him, it's a really lousy situation.

            Comment


            • #21
              An update

              The mom was arrested and is now in jail. Court is approaching--what happens if she doesn't show because she is still in jail? Will they postpone or dismiss the case?

              Thanks in advance.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Bliss1234 View Post
                An update

                The mom was arrested and is now in jail. Court is approaching--what happens if she doesn't show because she is still in jail? Will they postpone or dismiss the case?

                Thanks in advance.
                It can go either way, hopefully the Judge will see the situation for what it is and go ahead and stop CS because with the mother in jail it is obvious that she isn't supporting the child. Please keep us updated on how things go.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Update

                  My husband went to court and initially the state DA wouldn't hear anything he had to say and set CS. But my husband persisted and got a hearing and the judge said no child support should be awarded in this case. He just asked if my husband will continue medical coverage until he is no longer allowed to by the insurance company!

                  Thanks so much for all the advice.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Good to hear. Glad everything went well. Thanks for the update. Congrats.
                    Not an expert just stating what I know from experience and or moral standings

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Bliss1234 View Post
                      Update

                      My husband went to court and initially the state DA wouldn't hear anything he had to say and set CS. But my husband persisted and got a hearing and the judge said no child support should be awarded in this case. He just asked if my husband will continue medical coverage until he is no longer allowed to by the insurance company!

                      Thanks so much for all the advice.
                      Fantastic! It's wonderful to hear good news concerning our "justice/court" system.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        FINALLY!!!! It is great to hear that this worked out the way it should.
                        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                        (unique up on him)
                        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                        (same way)

                        Comment

                        The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X