Child is now pregnant, still in HS 18yrs. Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child is now pregnant, still in HS 18yrs. Illinois

My husband is still paying child support for his 18yrs old daughter who is still in high school. We recently found out that she and the ex-wife has been concealing the fact that she's now pregnant. Can he take her to court to stop child support because of this reason and also she is more than likely on public assistance and receiving WIC food vouchers. Is there anyone who is/has experienced this and can offer some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Angel9123 View Post
    My husband is still paying child support for his 18yrs old daughter who is still in high school. We recently found out that she and the ex-wife has been concealing the fact that she's now pregnant. Can he take her to court to stop child support because of this reason and also she is more than likely on public assistance and receiving WIC food vouchers. Is there anyone who is/has experienced this and can offer some advice.

Thanks in advance.
    Neither pregnancy nor parenthood emancipates a minor. So your husband will have to continue to pay CS for as long as the court order states.

If she is on public assistance the state will go to the baby's father for CS and repayment.

Comment

The father is not responsible to pay support for the grandchild, though. That is the new daddy's job.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Thanks in advance.
        Why does dad not want to pay support for his daughter just b/c she is pregnant???
        Not an expert just stating what I know from experience and or moral standings

Comment

My husband has been paying child support since the divorce over 10yrs ago, Never missed one payment. The ex has been very greedy and continues to drag my husband to court. She recently wanted the court to grant her back pay but she was denied and this was just after she received an increase. He wants to support his children 100% but not through the mother. The daughter continues to tell him that she's an adult and can do whatever she wants. She's 5mos pregnant and my husband just found out this weekend, the mom told the daughter not to tell because of the support issue. Is this something he should bring to his attorney's attention.

Comment

My husband has been paying child support since the divorce over 10yrs ago, Never missed one payment. The ex has been very greedy and continues to drag my husband to court. She recently wanted the court to grant her back pay but she was denied and this was just after she received an increase. He wants to support his children 100% but not through the mother. The daughter continues to tell him that she's an adult and can do whatever she wants. She's 5mos pregnant and my husband just found out this weekend, the mom told the daughter not to tell because of the support issue. Is this something he should bring to his attorney's attention.
            As I stated in the PM I sent you, as long as she is still living at home and there is a court order stating that he must pay child support until such and such time, he has to go by the court order. You can bring all of this up with an atty, but it will ultimately be a waste of time and money. Sorry. Pregnancy and chilldbirth do NOT render a minor emancipated.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
            (unique up on him)
            How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
            (same way)

Comment

Thanks mommyof4, point well taken.

Comment

What if the child moved in with her boyfriend and his parents?

Comment

She is 18.

When she voluntarily moves out of the custodial house, the payments can also be stopped for that child.

However, I wouldn't stop paying them until a judge says it is okay.
                  Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Thanks so much.

Comment

Ok here's the kicker---pregnant 18 year old daughter moves in with boyfriend and his parents and NOW her mother moves in with THEM because she has no other place to go and wants child support?

Comment

Originally posted by Bliss1234 View Post
                        Ok here's the kicker---pregnant 18 year old daughter moves in with boyfriend and his parents and NOW her mother moves in with THEM because she has no other place to go and wants child support?
                        WHAT!!!!
                        Not an expert just stating what I know from experience and or moral standings

Comment

So do you think my husband will have to pay? He is scheduled to go to court next month?

Comment

Originally posted by Bliss1234 View Post
                            So do you think my husband will have to pay? He is scheduled to go to court next month?
                            Is there any way that your husband can prove that ex moved into daughter's BF's house AFTER daughter moved in?

If so, it seems like he'll have an excellant case for ending CS because he'll be able to show that daughter is no longer supported by Mom and that Mom is deliberately attempting to keep CS going. At least that's what I see in the situation, but unfortunately I'm not a Judge. You just never can tell what a Judge will do.

Please keep us posted on how this turns out, it's getting really interesting, I personally hope that somehow Mom is held accountable for her behavior.

Comment

Any other suggestions? I am so sick other this. Thanks in advance.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X