Scared in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared in Texas

I am a non-custodial parent of 2. The girls are 16 & 17 and live with their mother in Oregon and I live in Texas. I haven't seen them in nearly 9 years and I rarely speak with them. The mother and I have a pretty good relationship still and she has been understanding about me falling behind on my child support. She has re-married a very wealthy man about 8 years ago and he is their "DAD" now and she doesn't really need my support, however she accepts what she gets and gives it to the girls for play money. I pay what I can but I am also remarried 12 years ago and I have a 12 year old son with my current wife.
    As I said, Mother of kids is understanding about me falling behind in child support and I have really fallen behind. Although I do pay a little here and there, our question is, if the mother and I make an agreement for me to give up my paternal rights, do I still have to pay child support? Can she forgive back child support? At this point the Attorney General is threatening me with legal action and none of us of course want that, if I go to jail or lose my drivers license and can't work, then no one gets anything. At least this way if I give up my rights, I can still send her bits and pieces here and there. Attorney general is no help, they have no info on their web-site and I can't get through to a live person on phone.
    -Scared

If she never accepted financial assistance from the state, she can forgive the arrearages. Once your parental rights are terminated, you will not owe any child support going forward from that date. If she ever accepted financial aid, you're sol.
    Last edited by mommyof4; 10-18-2006, 05:10 PM.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

no win

Let me guess the attorney general wants you to go to their state for court? Get an attorney pal and stop listening to these wanna be lawyers who need to be spending more time w/ their kids than posting useless rubbish on the computer.

Comment

Cowpats, is that you? You were banned once, you will be again.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

Well, considering he just joined today, he's complaining about someone seeking advice on a forum designed for advice and he's already after Mommyof4, I'd say yes, cowpats has returned.

As for the actual poster who needs help... Mommyof4 is correct. But it might help you seek advice from an attorney before doing anything. I know it can be expensive, but it's always worth it. Going it alone can equal serious mistakes.

Comment

what gives

:: what are you the ban queens? Give me a break ladys

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X