Another Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Question

Sorry had another question from Nebraska. During the first CS order in 2003, I was only working PT making $465/mth. Ex was making $2500/mth. I have not worked for the past 9 months but before that was making $950/mth with Ex making $4000/mth now. Will I be looked down on since I've chosen to stay home with the children instead of sending them to daycare and working just to pay daycare? (Which was coming to $811 per parent. Which obviously my whole share was going to daycare, seems like a waste to me IMO) Would calculations go off of my "earning capacity" of $950/mth or what I earn now $0/mth?I know this seems like a odd question, hope someone has some answers..thank you.

calculations for child support would also include expenses such as child care costs that benefits both parents by allowing both to work and earn income. Your ex- should have been responsible for half (at least) of the child care costs prior and the math should be a wash. Make sure you have documentation on the child care costs to show the court.

Comment

Originally posted by akbuyer
      calculations for child support would also include expenses such as child care costs that benefits both parents by allowing both to work and earn income. Your ex- should have been responsible for half (at least) of the child care costs prior and the math should be a wash. Make sure you have documentation on the child care costs to show the court.

I have the documentation for child care..he did pay half which was $811 for him and $811 for me..(total was $1622 a month) Without having any type of degree here in NE I can not find a job that will pay more than $ 7-8 an hour, which as I stated the pay is eaten up by my 1/2 of childcare. It's kind of a bad situation, except for my kids which have benefited greatly from having a parent around again.

Comment

Originally posted by NEmomof3
        Sorry had another question from Nebraska. During the first CS order in 2003, I was only working PT making $465/mth. Ex was making $2500/mth. I have not worked for the past 9 months but before that was making $950/mth with Ex making $4000/mth now. Will I be looked down on since I've chosen to stay home with the children instead of sending them to daycare and working just to pay daycare? (Which was coming to $811 per parent. Which obviously my whole share was going to daycare, seems like a waste to me IMO) Would calculations go off of my "earning capacity" of $950/mth or what I earn now $0/mth?I know this seems like a odd question, hope someone has some answers..thank you.
        No, you will probably not be looked down on, but don't expect to have his support raised to make up the difference caused by your decision. Your income level will be imputed into the calculations as if you were still employed. And now that the munchkins are not in daycare, those expenses will not be entered.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

can you collect child support if kids are going to college ??
          up to what age??
          please let me knwo

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lttzia
            can you collect child support if kids are going to college ??
            up to what age??
            please let me knwo

Thanks!!!
            What state are you in? Nebraska?
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            (unique up on him)
            (same way)

Comment

Mommyof4 may have a handle on this one for Nebraska? But case law here in Alaska (and I thought? I saw where one of these had been elevated to the federal courts and then kicked back to the state...which state I don't know), and again this is Alaska....both parents were on the hook for college past the legal emancipation age of 18 or end of high school. The case I'm thinking of though, I believe, was one where the parents had agreed to share college costs in their decree but then one parent pulled rank and sent the child to a more expensive school than the other agreed to. He (the plaintiff) ended up having to pay for the more expensive school even though he had no say in selecting the school.

my response is pretty muddled based on my poor memory....so to summarize
              There are cases where yes, both parents are responsible through college. I accept that I should have butted out of this one....and will take my lumps in silence

Comment

Originally posted by akbuyer
                Mommyof4 may have a handle on this one for Nebraska? But case law here in Alaska (and I thought? I saw where one of these had been elevated to the federal courts and then kicked back to the state...which state I don't know), and again this is Alaska....both parents were on the hook for college past the legal emancipation age of 18 or end of high school. The case I'm thinking of though, I believe, was one where the parents had agreed to share college costs in their decree but then one parent pulled rank and sent the child to a more expensive school than the other agreed to. He (the plaintiff) ended up having to pay for the more expensive school even though he had no say in selecting the school.

my response is pretty muddled based on my poor memory....so to summarize
                There are cases where yes, both parents are responsible through college. I accept that I should have butted out of this one....and will take my lumps in silence
                No, sorry, I wasn't clear. I was asking if she was ALSO in Nebraska, like the OP. Different states have different guidelines, so I was asking what state she lives in, in a round about convoluted way. Sorry. I will try again.

Ittzia, what state are you in? If you posted it, I completely missed it, sorry.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                  No, sorry, I wasn't clear. I was asking if she was ALSO in Nebraska, like the OP. Different states have different guidelines, so I was asking what state she lives in, in a round about convoluted way. Sorry. I will try again.

Ittzia, what state are you in? If you posted it, I completely missed it, sorry.

I'm in california

Comment

Originally posted by lttzia
                    I'm in california
                    In CA, child support stops when the child is 18 or graduates high school, which ever comes last. If the child support is court ordered, and arrearages are owed, child support will continue to be collected until all arrearages are paid.
                    www.childsup.cahwnet.gov/faq.asp
                    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                    (unique up on him)
                    (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X