This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a theft conviction keep us from fostering/adopting? Ohio

My husband and I are interested in fostering to adopt in the next few years, so we've been doing a lot of research and may have hit a wall. At 18 I was convicted of theft. All the information I can find is telling me that some crimes disqualify you to foster or adopt, but I can't seem to find anything telling me what those crimes are. I don't know if the details of the crime make any difference, but I didn't personally steal anything, however I was in the store with someone who did. This resulted in the theft charge which I plead guilty to. Since then, a singular speeding ticket has been the only run in with the law I've had. My husband and I are currently 24 would like to start the fostering to adopt process in about two years. This would make the conviction 8 years old. How likely is it that my mistake would prevent us from being able to foster/adopt? Thanks in Advance!

You are going to have to ask the adoption agency as this is not covered by law and it is a judgement call. If you didn't steal anything, I have no idea why you would plead guilty but it isn't going to erase the convictionat this point and the excuse tends to ring hollow. It is likely to matter if we are talking about stealing a candy bar from the corner store or if we are talking armed robbery here.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I guess our next step will need to be looking into this more with ODJFS now that I know it won't automatically disqualify us. I won't allow myself to be too sure, but I do feel that if it is mostly a judgement call of the agency, we just might have a shot. This is the only thing that could possibly rule us out, and plenty that would make us great candidates.

I plead guilty because by my understanding (after meeting with a public defender), I was guilty. I knew the item (makeup) was being stolen by the person I was with and I didn't attempt to leave or report it. I was told that makes me as guilty as her. I don't want to hide behind this as an excuse, because I surely don't feel that it excuses me which is why I plead guilty to begin with.

Thanks again for the response, you gave me exactly the information I was looking for.

Comment

Could always ask the court to expunge the record, or perhaps drop a quick "I love you and promise to vote for you" note to the governor (whomever that may be) and ask for forgiveness. That way no problem.

I doubt they'd care really. Provided that's all you have on your record.
        I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
        Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
        I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
        Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

CJ, this thread is from 8-2012. There was a current post before yours but it was seed spam from Pakistan.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I see that now. Sorry!
            I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
            Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
            I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
            Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

That happens. Those spammers are sneaky.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X