Family rights for adoption Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family rights for adoption Alabama

Recently I was asked to foster my great niece. I did not know this child existed until this past Christmas Eve. The child has been in foster care since birth(Feb 08). The mother has been gone since birth and her whereabouts are unknown. My nephew has been in and out of jail and has some mental illness problem. My sister(the childs grandmother) has refused to have any connection with the child. My nephew has expressed wishes in writing to DHR that he will sign his parental righs away in order for his child to grow up with family. After an ISP meeting with DHR, they discouraged us to proceed with adoption, that we did not want to be involved with the Dad. They proceeded to tell us of all the horrible things he has done, etc. All of which we already knew and are willing to deal with the issues. The DHR case worker and the GAL favors the foster parents to adopt. What rights do we have as family to adopt and have custody of this child? We have been told that family has first rights, but it seems we are going to have to fight DHR to adopt her. We are a good family, one of the few 'good guys' and they are trying to keep us from our family.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X