Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP!!!! Georgia

good afternoon all,

I am a single mother of two residing in the state of Georgia. It is court ordered that I have full custody of the childeren. The NCP lives in Kentucky. He pays child support but not enough to even cover after school care for one child. which sucks.

Well anyway, my father is 100% disabled and he lives in the state of TN. Becasue their father do not help me outsid eof the $54 a week for two kids, my father suggested that he adopts the kids so that they can receive all the benefits especially educational. The only thing is that their father would have to give up his parental rights. i talked to their dad about it and he is not up for it because he thinks that I would not let him see the kids anymore, which is a false statement.

Is there anything I can do to go around him, or get something written up that i sign saying that if he agrees to give up his parental rights I would still allow him to see the kids. Where do I do all the paper work, Georgia, TN, of KY?

Originally posted by singlemother View Post
    good afternoon all,

I am a single mother of two residing in the state of Georgia. It is court ordered that I have full custody of the childeren. The NCP lives in Kentucky. He pays child support but not enough to even cover after school care for one child. which sucks.

Well anyway, my father is 100% disabled and he lives in the state of TN. Becasue their father do not help me outsid eof the $54 a week for two kids, my father suggested that he adopts the kids so that they can receive all the benefits especially educational. The only thing is that their father would have to give up his parental rights. i talked to their dad about it and he is not up for it because he thinks that I would not let him see the kids anymore, which is a false statement.

Is there anything I can do to go around him, or get something written up that i sign saying that if he agrees to give up his parental rights I would still allow him to see the kids. Where do I do all the paper work, Georgia, TN, of KY?
    No, unless he agrees to an adoption, it isn't going to happen.

When a parent's rights are terminated they are no longer a parent, and would have no legal standing to enforce any type of visitation. It doesn't matter if you agree to allow visitation, by refusing, he is protecting his legal rights.

On another note though- your idea for your disabled father to adopt your children is really a lousy one. How are your kids going to feel when they find out that thier legal dad is YOUR dad? You should get a consult with an attorney, because it might not even be possible for your father to adopt unless both you and ex relinquish your rights.

Comment

I think that you are not understanding me.....Their father will always be there father my kids are 10 and 9. I'm not trying to keep them away from each other.....I only want to do this for the sole purpose of my kids to receive my Father's VA benefits....This for the education. If I have an opportunity to put my kids in the best private school versus public school why not?
      My kids would not think that my dad is their dad, what is wrong with you? Like you responded to critize rather than seeing positive in the situation.....

Comment

I think that you are not understanding me.....Their father will always be there father my kids are 10 and 9. I'm not trying to keep them away from each other.....I only want to do this for the sole purpose of my kids to receive my Father's VA benefits....This for the education. If I have an opportunity to put my kids in the best private school versus public school why not?
        My kids would not think that my dad is their dad, what is wrong with you? Like you responded to critize rather than seeing positive in the situation.....
        That's fraud. You cannot give up your children willy nilly because someone else might be able to give them more.

It doesn't matter that you swear up and down and promise the moon that their Dad can still be in their lives. The fact is, if he were to relinquish his rights, they are gone, and if two days or two months or two years later your father decided to move to Bora Bora and take the kids with, their biological father would have no say.

Your kids wouldn't have to THINK that your dad is their dad. It would be true. An adoptive parent is a parent legally. He would be their dad.

Further, how old is your father? You say he is disabled. The chances of the state allowing an elderly disabled man to adopt his grandchildren who are not currently in state custody and are not in any immediate danger are pretty slim. Adopting the kids to give them benefits, as I said, is fraud. The state will see right through it.

Your ex is 100% in the right to not give up his rights in this case. You cannot "go around" him. Think of it this way: what if it were HIS father who could provide the children with these "benefits?" Would you be ok if he tried to figure a way "around" your rights?
        Last edited by MomofBoys; 07-22-2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I didn't see any positives in your idea because there aren't any.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X