help adoption the children I have been raising Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help adoption the children I have been raising Florida

I have had physical custody of these children for 15 years we are not related. The father has had no contact and the mother is willing to relinquish parental rights. I was told I need to file a petition to terminate parental rights pending adoption. Can I do this myself or do I need a lawyer? What about the father? I don't even know if he is on the birth certificates. The children 15 and 11 want to be legally adopted which is why we are doing this 15 years into it. What steps can I take? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I would strongly suggest hiring an attorney for this as the whereabouts and the circumstance of the father is unknown. It's one thing when both of the parents are there and voluntarily signing over rights but quite another when only one is there and ready to do it. You may not even be dealing with one father. There are no guarantees no matter what the mother is telling you.
    Don't listen to a word I say because ya know I've gotta be crazy to be a Brown's fan.

Comment

Thank you for responding. I will make an appointment with an attorney. Does anyone know of someone they can recommend? In South Florida or Greenville South Carolina.

Thank you again

Comment

Originally posted by SERENDIPITY1111 View Post
        Thank you for responding. I will make an appointment with an attorney. Does anyone know of someone they can recommend? In South Florida or Greenville South Carolina.

Thank you again
        Are the children living in SC, or in FL?

If the children live in Florida, you can find an attorney by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011.

If the children live in SC, you can call the Greenville Bar to get a referral.

Either way, you will definately need an attorney to handle this since the father is unknown. You will also need to file in whatever state the children live in, even if the mother is in another state.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X