Step parent adoption Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step parent adoption Virginia

I had my son in Virginia, 2001. After his birth, I took his biological father to court to get full custody. (father drank heavily and parties, etc...) He petitioned for a paternity test. I gladly agreed. He is the father. (I had no doubts) Afterwards, I didn't hear from him since. I tried arranging for him to see our son, with no success. He hasn't paid support, has seen him only once since he was born. When my son was 3, I got married to a wonderful man. Before leaving the state, I tried to contact the father, with no luck. The certified letter was returned to me. I consulted an attorney and he said that I was okay to go if I tried my best to locate the father. My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years and he wants to adopt my son. Question is...do I still have to file in VA even though I am in a different state now? If the father hasn't been in contact for all of these years is that considered abandonment? What should be my next step? (By the way, his father never signed the birth certificate, if that makes any difference) Thanks for all of the replies!

Any custody / adoption cases are filed where the child lives (as long as the parent has lived in that location for a minimum, usually 6 months) as a permanent residence. As long as there isn't an established case in VA, in which case you may have to have the jurisdiction reconsidered, you should be able to file where you are now.

What state do you live in now?
    Last edited by Ohio "Step" Mom; 04-23-2007, 01:41 PM.
    Don't listen to a word I say because ya know I've gotta be crazy to be a Brown's fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio "Step" Mom View Post
      Any custody / adoption cases are filed where the child lives (as long as the parent has lived in that location for a minimum, usually 6 months) as a permanent residence. As long as there isn't an established case in VA, in which case you may have to have the jurisdiction reconsidered, you should be able to file where you are now.

What state do you live in now?
      According to OP's post, there is a court order for custody in VA. She will need to transfer the case to her state first, or file to TPR for abandonment in VA.

Comment

This is me too!

How do we start the TPR process on the Dead Beat Dad?

Comment

Originally posted by gseonesw View Post
          How do we start the TPR process on the Dead Beat Dad?
          Please keep your questions confined to your thread so not to confuse others replying to original post
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X