Call for more male responsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for more male responsibility

Ok, I'm confused. Do they have domestic infant adoption in OZ?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...4,12176616%255
    E1702,00.html

February 07, 2005
    MEN who father unplanned children in one-night stands or outside relationships
    will be forced to pay maintenance under a Liberal backbencher's plan to cut
    abortion rates.

Queensland Liberal Santo Santoro has circulated a policy paper proposing ways
    to encourage women considering a termination to keep the baby or offer it for
    adoption.

One of his proposals is for men who father unplanned children during a
    one-night stand or outside relationships to be forced to pay maintenance,
    helping reduce the need for a woman to terminate the pregnancy.

"Males have got to accept responsibility for their actions," Senator Santoro
    said.

"It is only fair that the male parent of an unplanned child that the mother
    decides to keep or carry to term and offer for adoption should make the same
    contribution to that child's support as other men whose cases currently fall
    within the ambit of the Family Law Act.

"If we are to consider action to ensure that women are provided with viable
    options to abortion – including financial support from the community – it
    is important to ensure also that the father of the child, where he can be
    identified, is made to meet his responsibilities."

Senator Santoro is the latest federal MP to raise the contentious issue of
    changing abortion laws.

Nationals Senator Ron Boswell re-ignited the issue last week when he lodged
    questions on notice to Health Minister Tony Abbott, seeking details of the
    number of abortions, who gets them, what they cost and possible alternatives.

Pro-life Labor backbencher John Murphy has already foreshadowed a private
    member's bill requiring disclosure of more information about the extent of
    abortion.

Prime Minister John Howard has given qualified support for a parliamentary
    debate on abortion through a private member's bill.

But he has stressed the Government will not sponsor any legislation aimed at
    restricting Medicare funding of abortion.

Government frontbencher Amanda Vanstone said today she was confident that a
    private member's bill aiming to cut Medicare funding for abortions would not
    succeed.

"I am satisfied any such bill would not pass," she said.

Labor questioned the need for politicians to be having the abortion debate.

Opposition frontbencher Penny Wong said it was unfortunate such an emotive and
    highly divisive debate had been re-ignited.

"I think frankly the majority of the Australian community believes this is an
    issue a woman should be discussing with her doctor, and obviously in
    consultation with her family and friends," she said.

Opposition health spokeswoman Julia Gillard said any move to cut Medicare
    funding for terminations would see the re-emergence of dangerous backyard
    abortions.

The Federal Government effectively finances abortions through the Medicare
    rebate, private health insurance rebate and its funding to state-run hospitals.

"What we would end up with is women with wealth being able to privately finance
    their abortions and women without wealth being left to their resources and
    perhaps having to rely on backyard abortionists," Ms Gillard said.

-------------------------
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friend will
    be sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"
    -----Unknown

On 07 Feb 2005 14:28:51 GMT, [email protected] (LilMtnCbn) wrote:
    Yes, but in lower numbers than intercountry adoptions. My city (pop
    300,000) had 33 adoption orders made last year but only 2 were for
    Oz-born children. We also had 4 local babies placed for adoption here
    last year.

Julia
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...4,12176616%255E1702,00.htmlCall for more male responsibilityFebruary 07, 2005MEN who father unplanned children in one-night stands or outside relationshipswill be forced to pay maintenance under a Liberal backbencher's plan to cutabortion rates.Queensland Liberal Santo Santoro has circulated a policy paper proposing waysto encourage women considering a termination to keep the baby or offer it foradoption.One of his proposals is for men who father unplanned children during aone-night stand or outside relationships to be forced to pay maintenance,helping reduce the need for a woman to terminate the pregnancy."Males have got to accept responsibility for their actions," Senator Santorosaid."It is only fair that the male parent of an unplanned child that the motherdecides to keep or carry to term and offer for adoption should make the samecontribution to that child's support as other men whose cases currently fallwithin the ambit of the Family Law Act."If we are to consider action to ensure that women are provided with viableoptions to abortion – including financial support from the community – itis important to ensure also that the father of the child, where he can beidentified, is made to meet his responsibilities."Senator Santoro is the latest federal MP to raise the contentious issue ofchanging abortion laws.Nationals Senator Ron Boswell re-ignited the issue last week when he lodgedquestions on notice to Health Minister Tony Abbott, seeking details of thenumber of abortions, who gets them, what they cost and possible alternatives.Pro-life Labor backbencher John Murphy has already foreshadowed a privatemember's bill requiring disclosure of more information about the extent ofabortion.Prime Minister John Howard has given qualified support for a parliamentarydebate on abortion through a private member's bill.But he has stressed the Government will not sponsor any legislation aimed atrestricting Medicare funding of abortion.Government frontbencher Amanda Vanstone said today she was confident that aprivate member's bill aiming to cut Medicare funding for abortions would notsucceed."I am satisfied any such bill would not pass," she said.Labor questioned the need for politicians to be having the abortion debate.Opposition frontbencher Penny Wong said it was unfortunate such an emotive andhighly divisive debate had been re-ignited."I think frankly the majority of the Australian community believes this is anissue a woman should be discussing with her doctor, and obviously inconsultation with her family and friends," she said.Opposition health spokeswoman Julia Gillard said any move to cut Medicarefunding for terminations would see the re-emergence of dangerous backyardabortions.The Federal Government effectively finances abortions through the Medicarerebate, private health insurance rebate and its funding to state-run hospitals."What we would end up with is women with wealth being able to privately financetheir abortions and women without wealth being left to their resources andperhaps having to rely on backyard abortionists," Ms Gillard said.-------------------------A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friend willbe sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"-----Unknown

Comment

"Julia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected]
      Yes, but in lower numbers than intercountry adoptions. My city (pop 300,000) had 33 adoption orders made last year but only 2 were for Oz-born children. We also had 4 local babies placed for adoption here last year. Julia
      Well that confuses me too, because I thought I remembered Di making the
      claim that there was no domestic infant adoptions in OZ?

Of course, then again, isn't she the one who claimed Ben Franklin was a
      president?

KL
      http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...4,12176616%255E1702,00.htmlCall for more male responsibilityFebruary 07, 2005MEN who father unplanned children in one-night stands or outsiderelationshipswill be forced to pay maintenance under a Liberal backbencher's plan tocutabortion rates.Queensland Liberal Santo Santoro has circulated a policy paper proposingwaysto encourage women considering a termination to keep the baby or offer itforadoption.One of his proposals is for men who father unplanned children during aone-night stand or outside relationships to be forced to pay maintenance,helping reduce the need for a woman to terminate the pregnancy."Males have got to accept responsibility for their actions," SenatorSantorosaid."It is only fair that the male parent of an unplanned child that themotherdecides to keep or carry to term and offer for adoption should make thesamecontribution to that child's support as other men whose cases currentlyfallwithin the ambit of the Family Law Act."If we are to consider action to ensure that women are provided withviableoptions to abortion - including financial support from the community - itis important to ensure also that the father of the child, where he can beidentified, is made to meet his responsibilities."Senator Santoro is the latest federal MP to raise the contentious issue ofchanging abortion laws.Nationals Senator Ron Boswell re-ignited the issue last week when helodgedquestions on notice to Health Minister Tony Abbott, seeking details of thenumber of abortions, who gets them, what they cost and possiblealternatives.Pro-life Labor backbencher John Murphy has already foreshadowed a privatemember's bill requiring disclosure of more information about the extent ofabortion.Prime Minister John Howard has given qualified support for a parliamentarydebate on abortion through a private member's bill.But he has stressed the Government will not sponsor any legislation aimedatrestricting Medicare funding of abortion.Government frontbencher Amanda Vanstone said today she was confident thataprivate member's bill aiming to cut Medicare funding for abortions wouldnotsucceed."I am satisfied any such bill would not pass," she said.Labor questioned the need for politicians to be having the abortiondebate.Opposition frontbencher Penny Wong said it was unfortunate such an emotiveandhighly divisive debate had been re-ignited."I think frankly the majority of the Australian community believes this isanissue a woman should be discussing with her doctor, and obviously inconsultation with her family and friends," she said.Opposition health spokeswoman Julia Gillard said any move to cut Medicarefunding for terminations would see the re-emergence of dangerous backyardabortions.The Federal Government effectively finances abortions through the Medicarerebate, private health insurance rebate and its funding to state-runhospitals."What we would end up with is women with wealth being able to privatelyfinancetheir abortions and women without wealth being left to their resources andperhaps having to rely on backyard abortionists," Ms Gillard said.-------------------------A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friendwillbe sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"-----Unknown

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
      http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
      ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Comment

"KL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
        "Julia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
        Yes, but in lower numbers than intercountry adoptions. My city (pop 300,000) had 33 adoption orders made last year but only 2 were for Oz-born children. We also had 4 local babies placed for adoption here last year. Julia
        Well that confuses me too, because I thought I remembered Di making the claim that there was no domestic infant adoptions in OZ? Of course, then again, isn't she the one who claimed Ben Franklin was a president? KL
        I didn't say it was over. I said it was all but over. With only 78
        local adoptions in a country of 20 million people, I'd say it's all
        it's on its way out. Unlike the 120,000 local adoptions in the US of
        course.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...4,12176616%255E1702,00.htmlCall for more male responsibilityFebruary 07, 2005MEN who father unplanned children in one-night stands or outsiderelationshipswill be forced to pay maintenance under a Liberal backbencher's plan tocutabortion rates.Queensland Liberal Santo Santoro has circulated a policy paper proposingwaysto encourage women considering a termination to keep the baby or offer itforadoption.One of his proposals is for men who father unplanned children during aone-night stand or outside relationships to be forced to pay maintenance,helping reduce the need for a woman to terminate the pregnancy."Males have got to accept responsibility for their actions," SenatorSantorosaid."It is only fair that the male parent of an unplanned child that themotherdecides to keep or carry to term and offer for adoption should make thesamecontribution to that child's support as other men whose cases currentlyfallwithin the ambit of the Family Law Act."If we are to consider action to ensure that women are provided withviableoptions to abortion - including financial support from the community - itis important to ensure also that the father of the child, where he can beidentified, is made to meet his responsibilities."Senator Santoro is the latest federal MP to raise the contentious issue ofchanging abortion laws.Nationals Senator Ron Boswell re-ignited the issue last week when helodgedquestions on notice to Health Minister Tony Abbott, seeking details of thenumber of abortions, who gets them, what they cost and possiblealternatives.Pro-life Labor backbencher John Murphy has already foreshadowed a privatemember's bill requiring disclosure of more information about the extent ofabortion.Prime Minister John Howard has given qualified support for a parliamentarydebate on abortion through a private member's bill.But he has stressed the Government will not sponsor any legislation aimedatrestricting Medicare funding of abortion.Government frontbencher Amanda Vanstone said today she was confident thataprivate member's bill aiming to cut Medicare funding for abortions wouldnotsucceed."I am satisfied any such bill would not pass," she said.Labor questioned the need for politicians to be having the abortiondebate.Opposition frontbencher Penny Wong said it was unfortunate such an emotiveandhighly divisive debate had been re-ignited."I think frankly the majority of the Australian community believes this isanissue a woman should be discussing with her doctor, and obviously inconsultation with her family and friends," she said.Opposition health spokeswoman Julia Gillard said any move to cut Medicarefunding for terminations would see the re-emergence of dangerous backyardabortions.The Federal Government effectively finances abortions through the Medicarerebate, private health insurance rebate and its funding to state-runhospitals."What we would end up with is women with wealth being able to privatelyfinancetheir abortions and women without wealth being left to their resources andperhaps having to rely on backyard abortionists," Ms Gillard said.-------------------------A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friendwillbe sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"-----Unknown
        ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X