Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marilyn Churley's Adoption Bill

>Subject: Re: Marilyn Churley's Adoption Bill
    My childs history has nothing to do with me....Her real history is what she is building right nowwith her family.
    You are wrong, what she is building right now is only a part of her history.
    It's like picking you up from where you are and dropping you somewhere else and
    saying, "here go live your life and build a new history". Kathy J

Marilyn Churley's Adoption Bill

[email protected] (Tm n Kat) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    Subject: Re: Marilyn Churley's Adoption BillFrom: "BaD *** Me" [email protected]Date: 11/26/2004
    My childs history has nothing to do with me....Her real history is what she is building right nowwith her family.
    You are wrong, what she is building right now is only a part of her history. It's like picking you up from where you are and dropping you somewhere else and saying, "here go live your life and build a new history". Kathy J
    I'd submit there is a difference between a new-born and an adult in
    her 30s in this respect.

Of course her time with her b-mother is part of her history; and her
    genes are part of her biology. But while her biology will be pretty
    much fixed, her history will continue to grow through her life. And if
    her history with her b-mom was only a couple of days, then surely the
    greater part of her history will be built elsewhere, assuming a normal
    life-span.

Rupa

Comment

Rupa Bose wrote:
      Subject: Re: Marilyn Churley's Adoption BillFrom: "BaD *** Me" [email protected]Date: 11/26/2004
      You are wrong, what she is building right now is only a part of her history.It's like picking you up from where you are and dropping you somewhere else andsaying, "here go live your life and build a new history". Kathy J
      I'd submit there is a difference between a new-born and an adult inher 30s in this respect.Of course her time with her b-mother is part of her history; and hergenes are part of her biology. But while her biology will be prettymuch fixed, her history will continue to grow through her life. And ifher history with her b-mom was only a couple of days, then surely thegreater part of her history will be built elsewhere, assuming a normallife-span.Rupa

Perhaps it is just because I have found my family of origin (or the
      maternal half anyway) and there is rather a lot them. But I do feel that
      some people here seem to vastly underestimate the importance of genes
      and the need to be in contact with others who share a substantial
      proportion of our genetic makeup. Something which is taken for granted
      by those who are not adopted.

Robin

Comment

"Rupa Bose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected] om...
        You are wrong, what she is building right now is only a part of her history. It's like picking you up from where you are and dropping you somewhere else and saying, "here go live your life and build a new history". Kathy J
        I'd submit there is a difference between a new-born and an adult in her 30s in this respect. Of course her time with her b-mother is part of her history; and her genes are part of her biology. But while her biology will be pretty much fixed, her history will continue to grow through her life. And if her history with her b-mom was only a couple of days, then surely the greater part of her history will be built elsewhere, assuming a normal life-span.
        In this case, I see "history" to mean, bio family, genetic history,
        heritage, etc.
        --
        ---------
        Robyn
        Resident Witchypoo

Comment

"Rupa Bose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
          news:[email protected] om...
          | [email protected] (Tm n Kat) wrote in message
          news:<[email protected]>...
          | > >Subject: Re: Marilyn Churley's Adoption Bill
          | > >From: "BaD *** Me" [email protected]
          | > >Date: 11/26/2004
          | >
          | > >My childs history has nothing to do with me....
          | > >Her real history is what she is building right now
          | > >with her family.
          | >
          | > You are wrong, what she is building right now is only a part of her
          history.
          | > It's like picking you up from where you are and dropping you somewhere
          else and
          | > saying, "here go live your life and build a new history". Kathy J
          |
          | I'd submit there is a difference between a new-born and an adult in
          | her 30s in this respect.
          |
          | Of course her time with her b-mother is part of her history; and her
          | genes are part of her biology. But while her biology will be pretty
          | much fixed, her history will continue to grow through her life. And if
          | her history with her b-mom was only a couple of days, then surely the
          | greater part of her history will be built elsewhere, assuming a normal
          | life-span.
          |
          | Rupa

Thank you, you explained that much better than I was able to.
          --
          BaD *** Me

Comment

Robin Harritt <ningué[email protected]ão.hoje.agradecimentos> wrote
            Perhaps it is just because I have found my family of origin (or the maternal half anyway) and there is rather a lot them. But I do feel that some people here seem to vastly underestimate the importance of genes and the need to be in contact with others who share a substantial proportion of our genetic makeup. Something which is taken for granted by those who are not adopted.
            I guess that might well be true. It may also be an individual
            matter...I've personally found that connections by personality and
            shared memories trump mere genetic connections.

But of course it's a question of how close the genetic connections are
            that we're talking about...once you go beyond parents and full sibs,
            the connections start to attenuate quite rapidly. The amount of genes
            shared on average fall: Uncles/aunts/half-sibs/nieces/nephews - 1/4;
            first cousins - 1/8; and then less and less.

I found age, similarity of background, geographic opportunity, and
            openness to be better predictors of how close I became to someone.

Rupa

Comment

>
              Perhaps it is just because I have found my family of origin (or thematernal half anyway) and there is rather a lot them. But I do feel thatsome people here seem to vastly underestimate the importance of genesand the need to be in contact with others who share a substantialproportion of our genetic makeup. Something which is taken for grantedby those who are not adopted.Robin
              I'm a bit blear-eyed this evening, so pardon me if I've already mentioned this.

I was contacted recently by a distant cousin on my mother's side. Our link is
              my great-grandfather and great-grnadmother. She sent me a picture of my ggd and
              ggm, which I in turn sent on to my mother. She called me last night to thank
              me, with tears in her voice, for the picture of the grandmother who died 20
              years before her birth and whom she had only known as a name.

Many denizens of alt.a. came immediately to mind.

J.

Reply to jmhjmd at aol.

Comment

"J." <[email protected]> wrote in message
                news:[email protected]
                Perhaps it is just because I have found my family of origin (or thematernal half anyway) and there is rather a lot them. But I do feel thatsome people here seem to vastly underestimate the importance of genesand the need to be in contact with others who share a substantialproportion of our genetic makeup. Something which is taken for grantedby those who are not adopted.Robin I'm a bit blear-eyed this evening, so pardon me if I've already mentioned this. I was contacted recently by a distant cousin on my mother's side. Our link is my great-grandfather and great-grnadmother. She sent me a picture of my ggd and ggm, which I in turn sent on to my mother. She called me last night to thank me, with tears in her voice, for the picture of the grandmother who died 20 years before her birth and whom she had only known as a name. Many denizens of alt.a. came immediately to mind.
                Wow, thanks for sharing - Extremely special
                --
                ---------
                Robyn
                Resident Witchypoo

Comment

[email protected]ostible (J.) wrote
                  I was contacted recently by a distant cousin on my mother's side. Our link is my great-grandfather and great-grnadmother. She sent me a picture of my ggd and ggm, which I in turn sent on to my mother. She called me last night to thank me, with tears in her voice, for the picture of the grandmother who died 20 years before her birth and whom she had only known as a name. Many denizens of alt.a. came immediately to mind. J.
                  That's marvellous!

I quite understand her feelings. I was quite delighted to get a
                  photograph of my great grandfather. Though the picture is rather
                  motheaten, it is neat to have some kind of an image of someone who was
                  just a family legend.

Rupa

Comment

J. wrote:
                    Perhaps it is just because I have found my family of origin (or thematernal half anyway) and there is rather a lot them. But I do feel thatsome people here seem to vastly underestimate the importance of genesand the need to be in contact with others who share a substantialproportion of our genetic makeup. Something which is taken for grantedby those who are not adopted.RobinI'm a bit blear-eyed this evening, so pardon me if I've already mentioned this.I was contacted recently by a distant cousin on my mother's side. Our link ismy great-grandfather and great-grnadmother. She sent me a picture of my ggd andggm, which I in turn sent on to my mother. She called me last night to thankme, with tears in her voice, for the picture of the grandmother who died 20years before her birth and whom she had only known as a name.Many denizens of alt.a. came immediately to mind.J.

Thanks J. Just as I was reading this I was listening to an item on
                    family history research on breakfast TV, people were being given a
                    warning that what they uncover could be very emotional for them. I
                    suppose that's true, I have certainly witnessed anger and frustration on
                    the genealogy newsgroups, every bit as much as I have here.

Robin

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X