This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accused of doing drugs outside of work in SC

I was called to the Human Resources department and was told that someone has come forward and said that I told them that I did cocaine. The accusser went onto say that I did not do this at work but then tried to say that I was telling them about other people that I did this with. I vehimentley denied this because it is a boldface lie. I did become very upset and asked if I needed to go take a drug a test. The HR representative said that it would not be necessary for me to take a drug test. I then asked them what I needed to do to defend my name they said nothing, I then asked if this was going into my permanent file and they said that it would not that it goes into and incident report and that is the only place that the paperwork would go.

After this councelling by the human resource department. It was brought to my attention on who it was that actually went to file these claims. It just so happens that it is another co-worker that had applied and has an interview for the same ptomotion. I feel that this should be brought to the attention of the HR department but really feel that it might just be best to leave it alone. I guess I just dont know what to do about this. I only talked to the HR person when they were bringing these accusations to me but they had me tend to believe that this was just a case of hearsay. Should I be worried? I feel that the only reason that this whole thing was brought up was to make me look bad right before a promotion interview. Does anyone know if there is anything that could happen to me from this just plain here say?
    Last edited by barney42; 09-30-2005, 09:30 PM.

Hearsay is only disallowed the the courtroom (and I believe there are some situtations even then where it is permissible). Your employer is free to listen to what you call hearsay if they choose to, and even to make employment decisions based on it.

From what you say, though it sounds as if you might be better off leaving well enough alone. It doesn't appear that your employer believed the allegations, which means they will reflect badly not on you but on the person bringing them.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

go along to get along?

I agree that you should likley let it alone for the most part. However, I would ask politely if you could submit a statement to be attached to the incident report (or whatever) to provide your side of the story, or whatever. I'd almost suggest making your written statement first and then goign to them with it and aksing it be included. People are more likely to agree if its already done and just a take and file thing.

If you are going to do this, and are allowed to submit, I'd keep it real simple, real short, and non-accusory. Like date, to whom sumitted, why submitted, that you completely deny all charges, that you offerred to voluntarily take a drug test and without naming names, suggest that whoever raised this to them could have done it in order to obtain a promotion, but you're not sure.

The reason I wouldn't name names or be too accurate as to who the snitch was is that Companies like snitches. It is in their nature to support and encourage certain base level human behavior since it allows them to play honest folk off one another and allows them to gather info they couldn't normally get. If they feel you have broken their snitch policy, or that retribution might be forthcoming from you, then they'll likely be more upset about that then any off premises drug use.

I'd let it die for about 6 months before you took any personal, revenge-type action, if that is your wont. Not saying you should seek revenge and all, but if it is , make sure that dish is served cold - and ONLY after you can verify it. Otherwise, you let it go completely. Indeed, you should not seek revenge since that might escalate things, might get you fired, and since we can't have a society going around all vigilante, vengeful type stuff. Depending upon your belief system, that either violates the law of man or the law of God(s), or both.

finally, if you can get a witness or other genuine, rock solid proof, you can sue, in civil court, for slander.

good luck,

curt j.

Comment

After this councelling by the human resource department. It was brought to my attention on who it was that actually went to file these claims. It just so happens that it is another co-worker that had applied and has an interview for the same ptomotion. I feel that this should be brought to the attention of the HR department but really feel that it might just be best to leave it alone. I guess I just dont know what to do about this. I only talked to the HR person when they were bringing these accusations to me but they had me tend to believe that this was just a case of hearsay. Should I be worried? I feel that the only reason that this whole thing was brought up was to make me look bad right before a promotion interview. Does anyone know if there is anything that could happen to me from this just plain here say?

I would imagine HR already knows that the person bringing the accuation may have an axe to grind as it's clear they didn't take the accusation seriously; if they had, they would have requested you to take a drug test.

It's outrageous that someone falsely accused you because he was jealous that you received the promotion and he didn't but my best advice to you is to just leave this be. What goes around comes around, even if it takes a little time. If HR/management has concluded the other employee made a false accusation, trust me - his career with the organization is toast. You do not need to, nor should you, exact any revenge or make any further protest. It's over and done with. Just leave it alone.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X