This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongful termination questions Maryland

I need some help with a personal case. I work for a guy who was an owner and co owner of two companies. When I worked for his own company I quit and did not show up for work therefore I do not work for. He also is part owner with another company. I was currently employed for [the other company] for the upcoming summer months. But do to me not showing up at the other job [the first company] essentially did not want me to work with that company anymore. Is this terms for wrongful termination due to the fact that they are two different companies or is it lawful since he is part owner with the other company?? Please help

Edited to remove company names.
    Last edited by Marketeer; 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM. Reason: Company names

It's entirely within the law for him to decide he doesn't want you to work for a company he owns (or manages), just as it is lawful for you to decide you don't want to go to work. The concept is called "at-will employment", which, see. Wrongful termination generally implies that one is terminated for a reason which violates a law or public policy.
    Last edited by Texas709; 04-16-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas709 View Post
      It's entirely within the law for him to decide he doesn't want you to work for a company he owns (or manages), just as it is lawful for you to decide you don't want to go to work. The concept is called "at-will employment", which, see. Wrongful termination generally implies that one is terminated for a reason which violates a law or public policy.
      But due to the fact that I quit the [first] job wouldn't it be considered retaliation from it. Which would be considered wrongfully terminated
      Last edited by Marketeer; 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM.

Comment

No, that would still not be a wrongful termination. Not all or even most of what the average employee considers retaliation is illegal.

Since there isn't a law that says you cannot be fired from one job because you quit another job owned by the same person, the employer may legally fire you for that reason.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will

http://employeeissues.com/wrongful_termination.htm

This was not an illegal/wrongful termination.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

We recommend that posters not post specific company names. For that reason, I have edited your posts to remove them. I live in the DC area and recognized both of them, and I'm sure that others (including the owner/part owner of the companies you named) would too if they found this post.

Retaliation is only illegal if you are being retaliated against for exercising a legally protected right (to file a workers comp claim, to take legally protected leave under FMLA, to file a discrimination complaint with EEOC, etc.). It's is not illegal to "retaliate" against you because you quit a job at another business owned or co-owned by this individual.
            I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

I'm in Maryland as well and it is completely legal. He might have been concerned about your reliability since you quit the other job, or he might have ject been upset with you. Either way, there is no law that says an employer can not fire you for this reason.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X