Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

wrongful suspension/termination Connecticut?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wrongful suspension/termination Connecticut?

    I work on a Friday night from 630pm-3am. Friday morning I got a phone call at 950 asking me to work from 11am until 3am. A 16 hour shift on an hours notice. I said I couldn't because I already had plans for the day but that I would come in early to accommodate them. Two hours later i receive a phone call that I am being suspended for a week without pay because I was not a 'team player'. I ended up being terminated the next day. Isn't that illegal to reprimand someone for not working a shift that wasn't there's to begin with? Also, pretty sure 16 hours straight of work is illegal as well. I could really use some advice on what to do next. I'm just appalled at their behavior and the way I was treated after working for them for 6 years.

  • #2
    This was not a wrongful termination. You are required to work the hours the employer asks/needs you to. (unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary)

    There are some exceptions on max. hrs. such as for long haul truckers, airline pilots, nurses in some states, minors.....

    File for unemployment ins. & look for other employment.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.