This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA:Do I have to travel for work? California

My boss told me to either travel for work,quit or I will be fired is that legal in California?

If your employer/boss requires you to travel as part of your job, then you need to do so or you can be disciplined up to & including termination for not. (unless you have a binding employment contract that says you can't be required to travel)

This would not be a wrongful termination if you were terminated for not traveling.

http://employeeissues.com/wrongful_termination.htm
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

With the qualification Betty mentioned, it is legal in every state.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

So even after being at my company for 11 years and never traveled before?Can he threaten me and harrass me by calling me over and over again even after I tell him no?

Comment

Your employer isn't harassing you by asking you repeatedly to do the job they want you to do. They decide the duties and if that includes travel, you can be expected to travel. It is no different than any other duty you are asked to perform. If you say no, you are risking the very real chance that your employer will terminate you for insubordination and failure to perform your duties as assigned.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by shaun gee View Post
            So even after being at my company for 11 years and never traveled before?Can he threaten me and harrass me by calling me over and over again even after I tell him no?
            If he keeps calling you over & over & you keep saying no, after a while he is going to get tired of asking/calling & might very well terminate you.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X