This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discharged for starting school- Ohio

I was recently discharged from my job and the reason they gave me was that I was going to start school. Now two months before the discharge I spoke with my manager about whether or not I would be able to go to school and work, and he said that would be fine and that we would work around my school schedule. He waited to fire me 2 days before I started school, he did write on the discharge paper that it was due to me starting school. Now I've been out of work for a little over a week and my boss sent me an email asking me to come back to work. I'm now wondering if maybe they realized that this was a potential wrongful termination suit......help please.

Based on what you have said, this is not a wrongful termination.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will
    http://employeeissues.com/wrongful_termination.htm
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I'm don't know why your boss asked you to come back to work but there was
      no wrongful termination.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Not even close to a wrongful term. Don't know what your boss's motive is, but it's not that.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agreed. Not even close to a wrongful termination.

I can only assume that the boss decided that they couldn't or didn't want to work around your school schedule and then subsequently had a change of heart - perhaps he realized you are just too good a worker to lose. If you enjoyed the job, you should seriously consider returning.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X