Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Fired Utah

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fired Utah

    My wife has been working at (a dept. store) in Utah for the past 5 months. Today she was fired because they found out she had a shoplifting charge 2 years ago at a (dept. store) that she plead guilty to and attended the class and paid her fine in full.

    She provided complete information on her "background" check paperwork, and the background came back clean and she was hired. Since then she has even been promoted! Today, they said that while the background check was clean, they just learned of the incident today via a correlation between (the 2 dept. stores) computers, and she was fired.

    How can they promote, praise, etc... her for the past 5 months and then fire her when the background check they conducted was "clear"??
    Senior Member
    Last edited by Betty3; 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM. Reason: remove name of stores

  • #2
    It's too bad, but they can because there is no law prohibiting it.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      Agree, this was not an illegal/wrongful termination.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.