Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not quite fired, but demoted and pay cut because of "admitted" error in HR Florida

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not quite fired, but demoted and pay cut because of "admitted" error in HR Florida

I was promoted to a higher paying security post, then made supervisor at that post, which resulted in even more money an hour, now HR is saying they have to move me and I wont be a supervisor anymore because of a mistake THEY overlooked on my driving record which doesn't let me drive at a post, this driving issue happened a whole year before I was hired with this company and was also stated on my application, this shouldve been looked at before hand months ago. Now I lose my pay rate and supervisor position cause of something HR made an error on, what rights do I have here?
    They're moving me to a decent paying post but not as supervisor, basically I'm not the boss anymore and have to take 2$ less an hour because of THEIR error, not mine. And I also recieved an email from their HR department even stating it was their fault.
    Now I bought a new car because I thought I could afford it, taking a 2$ an hour cut in pay cause of something they did, not me, is pretty huge, and while I can last for awhile, eventually I will hit negative in the bank cause of "them", I'm slightly over my bill vrs earning spending now where as before I was over and would have been fine.

You have the right to find another job that is more to your liking.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

that really doesn't help lol, I like my job and my lifestyle changed cause of an HR error and now I'll be suffering cause of that HR error

Comment

Truthfully, it's either that (look for other employment) or accept the demotion &
        pay cut. Sorry.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm sorry you're suffering, but the employer is doing nothing illegal.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

ok so what about this
            they admitted I'm not being covered on company insurance at this site (to drive the CTS) but they're making me stay there to train my replacement and 2 guards, so basically I'm not covered by (any) insurance while I'm doing this, is that legal too?
            This site is specifically 24/7 inside the vehicle too, it basically "is" the gate to let out or deny employee exits.
            Basically if something happens to me in the vehicle , its 100% on me. But being forced to wait 2 weeks to train these people?
            What worries me more is that its a 40k$ vehicle and the employees I'm guarding are mostly all/mostly ex-felons and immigrants so its not exactly a "low" chance of something happening
            Last edited by unrealprinting; 01-15-2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

What "insurance" are you talking about?
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

What kind of insurance do you think you're supposed to be covered by? Workers comp? Liability? Auto? Health? It makes a difference.

Requiring/requesting stay to train the replacements is legal, regardless. Depending on what insurance you mean, that might or might not be a problem, but unless you actually had a claim to submit would likely be a non-issue.

Comment

The company I work for requires you to be on their I guess "auto"? insurance to drive a company vehicle at any post/site, but I'm not on it cause of this driving incident 2 years ago, yet I'm being told to stay and train my replacements
                  I'm not complaining about training the new employees, what I'm saying is I'm being asked to do so while "not" being covered by my companies insurance, even though its policy that I have that insurance to even be at this site period.

And all in all because they can't insure me is the whole reason I'm being moved in the first place, so this is basically the heart of everything going on here. (Over a broken headlight ticket... I mean really) Tedious but anyway lol.
                  Last edited by unrealprinting; 01-15-2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Since it's a company requirement and not a law, they may choose to waive the requirement for two weeks if they choose to. So yes, it's legal.

Comment

It might not be a good idea not to have you covered under their auto ins. but it's
                      not illegal.
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It's not their auto insurance, it's their general liability coverage and in order to get more favorable rates from the carrier, your employer only puts employees in positions that require driving if they have a "good" driving history - no citations within "x" number of years, no DWI's, etc.

They are free to demote you to another position.

Comment

Let's put it this way. You benefitted from their mistake, for the time you were making more that you would have had they been aware of the limitation.
                          I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

I guess in this job market we should be glad we have a job. You can keep this
                            job & in the meantime look for something that pays more. Don't quit before having
                            another job though or you most likely will not get unemployment ins. Looking for
                            another job or accepting the demotion with pay cut are the only options.

Sorry this happened though.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X