This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're fired, no reason just go!!!

Hello all! At least I get to tell my side and maybe someone will read it. Since being fired in Feb., I felt like I was on my own and that my side wasn't even important. I found out the hard way about TX operating under the BS "at will" policy! So what, one day a manager or higher up wakes up in a bad mood and decides they want to fire someone and that's ok?? I didn't hold a high position but it was important enough, especially to the employees I serviced. I worked as a corporate courier for a well know company througout OK and TX. What originally started out w/ 4, I became 1 of a 3 person team and the only male among 2 women. Since being transferred from the corporate office in OK to TX in Sept. of 08, my new supervisor and myself quickly developed a bad vibe w/ eachother. Her style of supervision was competely unnecessary and overtime became oerbearing. To me she was completely incompetent and was a poor selection for the job. She was the new member when we all got to TX and wasn't familiar w/ the system. If I ever had a question w/ anything, she would address me in a patronizing manner but really there was nothing she could tell me about my job so I kept my distance from her. We managed to work a year w/ everyone but six months left in 09 tension was noticable enough and had already taken its toll on me. I had seperate meeting w/ her supervisor and the HR manager about my difference w/ my supervisor. Neither offered any solutions nor took action to help smooth things over. For the sake of my job, I kept my mouth shut to keep the peace but despite my efforts, she ended up firing me! She gave the most petty, non job related reasons to let me go. So I firmly believe it was personal b/c I surely didn't do anything to deserve it. I truely feel l was wrongfully terminated but due to that **** policy I guess that makes it ok! That right there angers me soo much along w/ knowing that others just agreed w/ her and allowed it to happen. There was only two occasions where her and I sat down one on one to talk, and that was during me evaluation. Both were positive and I received a pay increase, bonus, and company stock. If I had been such a problem I highly doubt I should've received any of that! So as far as I'm concerned I was doing a good job and continued to do so. She sure as hell didn't make any effort to notify me if she had issues w/ me. Never was I taken into her office and told I needed to improve in certain areas but somewhere I slipped up and that was the last straw for her and she fired me w/out any notice at all. I just don't think that was right nor should be allowed. I've spoke to many friends and family about cosulting a lawyer but no one seems to think it would help. That's the answer I'm seeking so can anyone offer any suggestions please? Thanks for reading!

I always hate answering these types of questions, because these tend to be a "shoot the messenger" type of question. There really is something called Employment At Will. Under Common Law, this is the legal default in 49 states (including yours). This is a very well established legal principal hundreds of years old. It is not an "always". There are exceptions, but exceptions are not automatic. I am going to suggest that you read the article I cited and see if it says anything interesting.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

This will sound blunt, but:
      If you don't like the law, lobby your Representatives.

On the basis if what you wrote, possibly unfair, but not illegal. You weren't terminated on the basis of any protected characteristic.

Comment

I'm sorry but I see nothing illegal done here. You can be terminated at any time for any reason except a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, race) or unless you had a binding employment contract or CBA contrary to your termination.

File for unemployment ins. & look for other employment.

Good luck to you.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Unfair maybe, but legal!
          On the other side of things, at any time you could have quit on spot as well, without any notice. It works both ways.

Comment

No doubt is was unfair!! I know about the "at will" so that's what I'm assuming they went under. I rather they just say that than come up with the lame reasons she mentioned. I'd have to be an absolute idiot to be doing those things and not expect to get fired. I have more sense than, I have student loans, a credit card, and other expenses to pay on just like many others so I wouldn't jeopardize my job. I've just had plenty of time to think and a lot of things are coming to mind. They're free and clear of any wrong doing, I see that. I mean they were some other things that went on that I didn't mention, may have ran out of room so I tried to give a slight summary. Well now that I have some of ya'lls attention let me give a few more details.

Even though none of what I'm bout to mention botherd me at the time I know it was in violation of policy and a form of sexual harassment or is it not b/c it wasn't directed to me? My supervisor was very unprofessional. She made plenty of sexual references like openly talking about her own affairs and asked her subordinates to do the same. For a working relationship, I knew too much of her personal business. She didn't view men that highly and made gestures like, "men are idiots, always thinking w/ the wrong head." That being married was never a good thing b/c men are lazy and flat out worthless. All this I would over hear. I don't know if it was a male female, black or white thing but she had a problem w/ me somewhere. As mentioned before, I was the only male among two other women. My supervisor and the other young lady were real close, did everything together throughout the working day, told stories, shared laughs, etc. and I was never apart of any of that. I did my work and kept to myself. I wondered if it was b/c I didn't participate in those socials but I just refused to take part, that was work not happy hour! Still I went about my business. Well the other young lady had all the freedom in the world. She could come and go when she pleased w/out telling our supervisor much of anything. As for me, I might as well been at a daycare. She was always nagging at me as to why I didn't tell her when I left the office and I don't mean outside the building. See, I ran the mailroom and had four scheduled mail runs everyday on the five floors in the building we officed at and she knew this. I had many other duties as well so I would be on the move a lot. At times I would tell her I was going on my runs or doing whatever but after a while I figured she'd catch on to the schedule. Hell, she's the supervisor she should know these things. I've told many people this same story and some even asked if I thought she may have liked me and I wasn't responding. I highly doubt that was it. So I'm left wondering if discrimination didn't play a part. I never resorted to playing the race card but after experiencing all this I think it's possible. She adored the other young lady and just treated me like crap and I took it for far too long. Something doesn't add up and there's no denying that.

Comment

Telling a subordinate that you have to notify your mgr when leaving the area is pretty common, even if you do think she should know your schedule.

Did you ever tell her you were uncomfortable with the way she spoke? Did you ever report it to higher ups?

You can file a complaint if you think it was gender discrimination but if you never mentioned it before it will weaken your case.

Comment

No to both of your questions. I didn't want to raise a fuss, but of course if I knew this was going to be the end result I sure would have. I guess the ony reason I didn't was b/c I wasn't personally affected, maybe that's where I should've acted. Whats also troubling, is that the day I got fired the HR manager was present as well and as I began stating my case she cut me off saying the decision was already made and it wasn't up for debate and that's when I left the office. The supervisor had to throw in there she had documentation of things I had done but they weren't presented at the time of my firing, I had not once seen any of those prior to my firing nor were they brought to my attention after she initially wrote them up. So as I'm thinking about this whole situation "funny" things start to appear and it feels like it was being set up for the right time. Never was I warned of any wrong doings. I was also informed by a co worker after I had left the company that my co worker, the young lady that was real tight w/ my supervisor, knew at least two weeks in advance that I was being let go. I know for a fact from my orientation that matters like that aren't to be discussed between managers and subordinates. Here I am playing by the rules, going by the book but I was still treated as if I was the trouble maker. That's when I considered discrimination, plus I looked back on how I was treated oppose to my co worker but again I didn't report that specifically. In my first post I mentioned how earlier in my job I went to my supervisors boss and the HR manager on separate occasions to discuss my concerns. Her boss told me that since no one else had come forward w/ any complaints, he wasn't able to take in consideration what I was telling him, and I didn't mention the crude language she had been using. So I had been ignored on two occasions concerning our working relationship and I still lost! Still fair??

Comment

Possibly unfair but unfair doesn't always mean illegal.

You can try filing a complaint as suggested by HRinMA if you believe you were discriminated against due to your gender.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Alright, I'm not stressing that it was illegal but it sure as hell was unfair. Just b/c a company has the authority to terminate people, especially when they don't deserve it, doesn't make it fair. I highly doubt anyone who has experienced this would disagree. Can always tell those that haven't. This has really made me rearrange a lot in my life and not necessarily for the better at the moment but I'll find my way. Well it's over, thank you all for your input.

Comment

Okay, you've learned the law. Next step is to learn office politics. And if you find a lot of crap going on where you work, it's time to look for a better job, before they fire you because you got in the way of their insecurities or whatever they think you've done.
                      I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X