Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Wrongful termination?-Iowa Iowa

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wrongful termination?-Iowa Iowa

    Okay I worked for a large company as a store manager and was granted 3 weeks under the fmla act for a health condition that way okayed by the company, the day i returned I was greeted by my regional and I was fired stating my leadership abilities. I am not going to lie he had some issues with me and I feel he has been trying to get rid of me for a while However during the 3 weeks off there was talk with in the store that I was going to be fired. Was this legal? Do I have any reprecussions?

  • #2
    FMLA is up to 12 weeks of job protected leave. However, you can be terminated while on FMLA or after your return from FMLA leave if you would have been terminated anyway had you not taken FMLA. You just can't be terminated for taking FMLA leave.

    However, it is rather suspicious that you were terminated right after your return from FMLA leave. You can try filing a complaint with the US DOL or talk to an employment attorney. Your employer would have to prove/have documentation etc. that the reason for your termination was due to a problem with your leadership abilities (or some other legal reason) and not because you took FMLA.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.