This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongful Termination? Ohio

Howdy. I'm Tony. I was working at a place for eleven months. Never had any previous problems with any fellow employees or anybody in the company. I was never wrote up for anything and would travel multiple times for this company when asked.

On a Tuesday afternoon a crew and I worked in Hebron, KY (Our warehouse is in Springdale, OH). At about two in the afternoon I get a call from my scheduler asking me if I could go to cleveland to our warehouse to work through Friday. I said "Yes I could do that, who all is going?" He responded with "Well you would be going by yourself" I said "OK" Then the scheduler says "Here's the bad part you will have to leave at 3:30am from our warehouse." I hesitated but said ok. So we work the rest of the day in Hebron, KY and I get back to the warehouse around 4pm. I get home around 5pm have to run around getting the necessaties needed to travel. Finally get to bed and could not fall asleep till about midnight. I wake up at three and decided that a 4hour drive would not be smart since I had to drive alone. So I show up at our warehouse in Springdale, OH and leave there at 6am. I called my scheduler and let him know (he was sleeping they dont show up untill seven or seven thirty) that I could not fall asleep the night before and did not feel comfortable departing at 3:30am I did not want to put the company's vehicle or myself in jepordy. I left this on his voicemail.

So I take off and get a call from the scheduler at about eight and he tells me that plans have changed I'm going to meet the cleveland crew at the site it was in Mansfield, OH. So I pull over get the directions and drive on. I finally show up at the site and start working and work throughout the whole day. My company got me a hotel in Cleveland near the Cleveland office so I finish the drive to Cleveland after work and check in. The next day I show up at the Cleveland Warehouse and their manager is standing there with a few other crew members. He says "Are you Tony" I responded "Yes" He say's "Come Into My Office." We get into his office and he says "Do you know who I am?" I respond "No" He then goes on to say "Have you heard anything about me?" I again respond "No" He tells me "Well I'm Quinn and I'm the manager here in Cleveland and I think that it is total BullS*** that you showed up so late." So I told him that I appologize but I did not feel comfortable driving 4.5 hours alone up to cleveland because I could not fall asleep the night before. He then say's "Well just because you are tired is not an excuse and if I was in Cincinnati I would have your A** fired cause that is Bulls*** and how did it take you four hours to get to Mansfield from Cincy." I told him "Plans got switched on my way up here, so my scheduler gave me directions to Mansfield off mapquest, and they were messed up and it took me awhile to find the place because I had no clue about the town or anything." After a little more of me getting reamed he says now lets go to work and I said yes sir. We walk to his door and he keeps his hand on the door and stares at me for about 15 seconds and wouldnt move so I asked him what do you want me to leave, and he said no you are working. So we go out to the warehouse, I work for about ten minutes loading a truck he comes up to me and says "GO BACK TO CINCINNATI" pretty loud so everybody heard. I said for what and he said we already went through this and I replied you said I was working then he says we dont need you so before everything go to out of hand I said ok because I would never disrespect a supierior.

I get back to Cincinnati and talk to my manager. He starts by saying he got a call from Quinn and then proceeded to tell me what Quinn told him happened. My manager read the firing paper to me which i cant read the last part of because it got scratched out but basically what that part said was that I told the Manager in Cleveland (Quinn) That I did not care if I worked or not, That I didnt need this job, and I did not care. I immediatly stoped my Manager and told him first off I would never disrespect a superior above me in that way, I then said I am a pretty intelligent man why would I tell a superior I did not care if I had the job or worked when people are getting laid off left and right. I also told my manager that the night before I just could not fall asleep and it took me awhile to gather all of the things to leave and when I woke up at 3:00 I didnt feel the right decision was to put the company vehicle and myself in jepordy. I then proceeded to tell my manager how Quinn was cussing and telling me how it was b/s and I told my manager how he held onto the doorknob for about 15 seconds staring at me etc... My manager then says ok and scratchs out all of the statements made by the manager in Cleveland. My manager then proceeds to tell me that I was a great worker for him, he never had a problem with me, and wanted to keep me but he said the guy from Cleveland not only contacted him but HR also.

So basically to me it sounded like the guy from Cleveland didnt like me for some reason, yes I was late but I worked the first whole day then the next morning get sent home after he told me I was going to work. After my manager scratched out all of the Cleveland Managers words my paper work said this:
    Tony was told to depart Cincinnati office at 3am on wednesday june 24th to arrive at cleveland office to start work at 7am. Tony did not leave until 6am according to his voicemail because he was tired. Tony was instructed to go straight to site then in Mansfield a 3 hour drive and took 4.5 hours to get there.

My manager told me he never had a problem or issue with me and I was a great worker for him. So why am I getting terminated here with out having one writeup my whole time working there or any problems. Basically wasnt it the guy in cleveland had an issue with me, all of his words got scratched out so I wasnt showing up a supierior or anything I just dont understand.

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

I'm sorry but I don't see a wrongful/illegal termination here. In at-will employment, you can be terminated at any time for any reason except a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

Sometimes terminations are not fair but they are legal.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Betty3, you read that whole novel?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        Betty3, you read that whole novel?
        I love to read. You learn things by reading.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X