This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongful Termination? Wisconsin

My boyfriend got terminated the other day from a job that he loved. Another employee overheard him how my boyfriend was ranting and raving about his boss. So the boss got wind of it and terminated my boyfriend because my boyfriend went over his head about the problems on the job. The thing is, my boyfriend didn't go over his head and he was talking to another employee about what was happening on the job. Is this grounds for wrongful termination?

No, no illegal/wrongful termination here. He can be terminated at any time for any reason (that's at-will employment) except a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless he had a binding employment contract to the contrary. It's just like your bf could have quit at any time for any reason.

Even if he didn't go over the boss's head, it would not be a wrongful termination. A wrongful termination is not being terminated for something he didn't do but being terminated for a prohibited by law reason.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

May be a minor caveat here. What kinds of problems was your BF talking about?
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X