This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asked to Resign (California Laws) California

I'm new to this forum...but I was hired 2 months ago by an employer. I was technically under a probationary period of 90 days. I was also paid salary. Last week I was called by my employer into his office and told he believed I should resign because I wasn't a "fit" for the company. This was a shock to me. When I asked what the reason for his decision was, he mentioned that the time sheets I filled out were the issue. Apparently, they weren’t to his liking. This job is confusing since there are a million projects and no written procedure on how to fill these complicated sheets out. The only warning I ever got for my time sheets was when I didn’t not subtract my 30 minute lunches from my time sheet (since there was no written policy on this, I made the assumption that the policy was the same as my former employer’s). I apologized and explained that I was unaware of this and from that point on, took away the time I spent at lunch from my daily hourly total. Two weeks later, I was asked to resign with my timesheet being the underlying issue. Many of the "policies" in that workplace were old and were constantly being changed. There was much disorganization and chaos at the work place as far as my job requirements and I was never given clear instructions or written policies on how to go about my job. I signed the resignation and left. However, I feel like I was mistreated, taken advantage of, and then asked to leave for reasons of convenience. Do I have any rights here?

Based on your post, there was nothing illegal done here.

Also, since you resigned, you probably will not be eligible for unemployment ins.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I know this is not what you want to hear but I'm afraid I must agree with Betty. I see nothing in what you've described to suggest the company violated any employment laws. From your description, this sounds like it may be unfair and perhaps you were mistreated if they are blaming you for their own lack of having any coherent policies or training new employees as to how they want things done. But if that is indeed the case, that merely makes them stupid to blame you for their problems. There are no laws prohibiting people from being stupid because if there were, I know an awful lot of lawbreakers!
      The only thing spammers are good for is target practice.
      No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, but a bunch of electrons and phosphors have been a tad inconvenienced.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I guess having a very good work ethic and reputation as a chemical engineer and then having someone ask you to resign because they cant run a business is both frustrating and insulting...especially given the current economy. Hopefully, I'll find some new work.

Comment

Good luck to you. This does sound like an unfair termination but not illegal.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

They asked you to resign vs letting you go so they would not be charged for the unemployment. One lesson to learn from this is never resign. When you resign, you won't get unemployment. Let them discharge, terminate, layoff (what ever word they chose to use) you.

Comment

I considered allowing them to try to terminate me but I didnt want to have someone terminating me for what could be misconstrued as dishonesty with timesheets...which is untrue. I thought that explaining to my next employer that I resigned because I was unwilling to to work for someone taking advantage of me...rather than explaining that I was terminated for reasons untrue, would prove to be less of a hurdle.

Comment

Good luck to you, Daniel. It is always a shame when a good employee has to pay the price for the employer's own ineptitude, but unfortunately sometimes bad things do happen to good people. Here's hoping and praying you find something even better soon. If there is any way to find solace in this, maybe it is perhaps in the fact that as long as they continue doing the same things as an employer, they're going to lose an awful lot of good people (which drives their costs way up) as the price for having poor policies and procedures.
                The only thing spammers are good for is target practice.
                No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, but a bunch of electrons and phosphors have been a tad inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by The Masked Poster View Post
                  Good luck to you, Daniel. It is always a shame when a good employee has to pay the price for the employer's own ineptitude, but unfortunately sometimes bad things do happen to good people. Here's hoping and praying you find something even better soon. If there is any way to find solace in this, maybe it is perhaps in the fact that as long as they continue doing the same things as an employer, they're going to lose an awful lot of good people (which drives their costs way up) as the price for having poor policies and procedures.
                  Thank you so much for the encouragement. Thank God I have a very good reputation with all of my former employers so I'm hoping I find something soon. Thank you again for the help.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X