This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrongful termination via text Oregon

I was terminated via text message with no explanation today. The whole office was aware of this before I was, (in fact since last thursday) and I was contacted by a fellow employee who asked what was going on. I have never been disciplined or had a negative on my record. I did have a fellow employee that wanted my position because her husband had lost his job and used the time I was on vacation to get me terminated. Anyone heard of this before? Any advise?

It was not illegal to terminate you by text message & without giving you a reason. In at-will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason except for a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

What makes you think your fellow employee got your terminated - what did she do?

File for unemployment ins. & look for other employment.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Two days before I left she started having meeting with the person that fired me. Her husband lost his job and she was looking for full time employment. All these meeting continued while I was gone and I had employees calling me and asking what was going on. It was a very stressing time as everyone was telling me that I was being fired. He was able to give her the position at a cheaper pay scale then what I was at. But she also does not have 1/4th the knowledge that I had. It is frustrating as I had built the dept from 1.5 people to 4.5 people. The bottom line is money I guess. Now he is trying to get out of paying unemployement ins.

Comment

It may be unfair but there is nothing illegal done by your employer in your post above.

I don't know the reason they are using to contest your UI but if you are denied, appeal.

Good luck.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agree with what Betty said, but just want to add that being fired is bad enough, but I think it was very tacky of them to do this electronically instead of face to face. Absent extreme circumstances, that, IMO, was the coward's way out, and I would have no respect for an er who treated ee's like that.
          The only thing spammers are good for is target practice.
          No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, but a bunch of electrons and phosphors have been a tad inconvenienced.

Comment

I do agree it was very "tacky" the way they terminated you (by text message) instead of face to face though it wasn't illegal.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X