This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrongfully fired Michigan

i work for a company very large and i would like to know if i can get unemployment from them they are tring to find a reason to let me go i have no wrightups or verbel warning i have done my job the way is was asked to and then some they do this to employees the dont like anymore is there anything i can do

If and when you are fired immediately apply for Unemployment. If the firing is as arbitrary as you are making it sound you should be able to collect benefits provided you have paid in enought to the system.
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Well, the first thing you can do in the future is use proper punctuation and sentence structure. We aren't texting here. Fortunately, your post was so short that I think I can figure out what your question is.

"Wrongful termination" is a legal term that has to do with an employee being fired for a reason for which a law exists prohibiting discharge for that reason (such as age, race, gender, etc,) or discharge because an employee has reported a possible violation of some law to the appropriate regulatory agency (such as filing a wage and hour claim or reporting a possible safety violation to OSHA). Just because a discharge may be seen as "unfair" does not necessarily mean it is "wrongful".

For UI purposes, there are certain circumstances that are referred to as "disqualifying". If you are fired for one of those reasons, you would not get UI benefits. Other than that or you actually quitting, the UI laws are tilted towards the discharged worker.

Other than that, without a bona fide employment contract or CBA, you can legally be fired if the employer doesn't like the color of your socks. See here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_will_employment
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Unionized?

If you don't have a union contract, unfortunately an employer can fire anybody they want to for any reason. SORRY! And depending on what state you live in determines your unemployment laws.

Comment

That's what I said 5 days ago.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

She thought it beared repeating.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X