This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potential term Montana

I didn't know where else to put this post but I was recently contacted by my manager and another employee had contacted him threatening to go to the HR department over something I said.

Honestly I don't remember the jist of the conversation but I was talking to another employee about someone and I suggested that this person was a "c" word (my exact words), and then I went on to say that meant "cherry-picker" being the goofball that I am. This other employee that overheard it does not like me at all and is threatening to go to HR with it. This employee regularly uses the "F" word and calls other employees names ALL the time.

In the case with my conversation with the employee that I'm friends with, I was not referring to anyone at work although I now wonder if the "other" employee thinks I was referring to her.

Is there anything I can do besides zip'n my mouth shut? Is there anything I can do to defend myself? Should I be proactive and go to HR first because she consistently talks down to and behind the backs of employees that I manage?

I think I would hold off on doing anything at this time. You said the employee was threatening to go to HR, not that they actually did. They may not. Just be careful what you say at work from now on.

You can check back and see if you get any other opinions.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I totally agree with Betty's view. Until HR is alerted (if ever) theres nothing you can or shoud do. Other than watch what you say
      http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Just one question: Can I get in trouble for saying "c-word"? (those were my exact words)

Comment

Originally posted by Wapiti13 View Post
          Just one question: Can I get in trouble for saying "c-word"? (those were my exact words)

No law that prohibits them from writing you up.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Whether you WILL get in trouble or not is open to question. But yes, you CAN get in trouble for the euphamism you used. The fact that you watered it down does not mean the employer is prohibited from disciplining you if they find the - let's call it imagery - inappropriate.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X