This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you consider this being fired?

I will try to make a long story short. My boss has had many temper tantrums over the 5 yrs. I have been employed at his office. On this particular morning he had taken out his frustrations on me several times. The last accusation was regarding the office cat. At that point I had had enough and asked "am I doing anything right for you today?". He immediately starting screaming "GET OUT, GET OUT RIGHT NOW, GO, LEAVE, LEAVE RIGHT NOW". He kicked the side of my desk, threw something, went out on the front porch and came back in and continued to scream "GET OUT, GO HOME, GO HOME TO YOUR KIDS". I stood there shaking and picked up my purse and keys and left. I didnt have time to get my belongings because I was ordered out of the office. This was on a Tuesday. Not my boss nor the office manager called me in 3 days. The following Friday I went to pick up my check and my belongings and one of the office girls came up front and said that he did not terminate me..that I had quit. I told her that I was ordered out of his place of employment. Who would of thought that he wanted me back? No one called to say "did you quit? are you coming in?. I asked why not and she replied "because he said that he would of yelled at you if he called". I came back home and called the office and was told that he was not in...I left him a voicemail asking "if I was not terminated then do I show up for work on Monday? and left my phone numbers". I received no call. I filed for unemployment and he is fighting that by saying that I quit. Being ordered out of a place of employment is quitting? He has never done that to anyone. He has tantrums but never threw anyone out. The words your fired were not said but to be ordered out of your place of employment by the owner...its like kicking someone out of your house; you dont expect them back until you invite them back. Please advise your thoughts.

The argument can be made both ways.

He could argue that he simply sent you home for the day and had no intention of firing you.

If you win the unemployment case and he does not appeal, then case closed. You can move on to another job where you don't get yelled at for no reason.

If you lose, appeal. It costs you nothing and you can call witnesses to testify under oath.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

And take the cat. I don't like this guy and he may start kicking the cat

Comment

Originally posted by Paypro View Post
        And take the cat. I don't like this guy and he may start kicking the cat
        Ditto. Take the cat.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Get yourself & the cat both out of there. File for UI & look for other employment as joec suggested.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by joec
            I dont think she can take the office cat.
            JoeC
            It could mysteriously disappear.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It sometimes pays to carry a large hand bag/purse.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X