This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adulaterous Boss - Subordinate Sexual Relationship Michigan

Very recently I discovered that my wife was having an affair with a married top executive in the company she worked at. I am one month from graduating from college and had accepted a written offer to work at the company in which this affair happened. This company is around 200 employees. The executive board in this company has chosen not to fire anyone and have even given both my wife and the guilty executive paid time off to "get things straight". Now I don't feel comfortable working at the same company as this man especially since we will run into each other frequently. This company says that they still want me to come and work for them but i feel forced out of that position given the fact that they refuse to fire the guilty parties. Do I have any case for "breaking a contract" or "wrongful termination" due to their protecting of this executive? Also I have worked part time at this company for almost two years.
    Last edited by Veldy1219; 04-12-2007, 02:58 PM. Reason: Mispelled Title

If you feel forced out of the job due to the situation between your wife & the exec., no it would not be considered a wrongful termination/"breaking of contract". It would be considered your choice to leave even if you felt forced out. What your wife & the exec. did was not illegal & not firing them was not illegal. It seems as it was an affair (both consenting as opposed to sexual harassment by the boss.) I'm assuming there was no actual written contract.
    Last edited by Betty3; 04-12-2007, 04:24 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Written Contract

I have a written contract for employment in my posession. So you are saying there is no boss-subordinate case law. Additionally, they want to sweep this under the rug so no one else finds out about it. Am I legally liable if I tell my co-workers that I quit and the reasons behind it. Essentially, if I run the culprits name through the mud within the company. I would not lie, I would only tell the truth and the truth would damage his reputation and ability to lead.

Comment

Generally employment is "at will". This simply means that either party (employer or employee) may end the employment relationship at any time for any or no reason at all. This becomes a bit more complicated when employment contracts exist. Unfortunately each contact is different and that's the reason that you should seek legal counsel as part of your decision-making process. If the contract is deemed "enforceable", you could be held to the terms.

Comment

I can understand the position you're in and why you'd feel uncomfortable, but the bottom line is the company is under no legal obligation to fire the executive or your wife just because you'd feel uncomfortable about going to work there. They've offered you the employment; the choice is now yours. Sorry.
          The only thing spammers are good for is target practice.
          No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, but a bunch of electrons and phosphors have been a tad inconvenienced.

Comment

Now I don't feel comfortable working at the same company as this man especially since we will run into each other frequently. I don't blame you.

This company says that they still want me to come and work for them but i feel forced out of that position given the fact that they refuse to fire the guilty parties. You're not being forced out; your decision to take the job or not will be a personal choice.

Do I have any case for "breaking a contract" or "wrongful termination" due to their protecting of this executive? No. They aren't required to fire the executive because he had an affair with your wife. Note that they're not terminating your wife either and she's as culpable as he is. They could fire both of them if they wished to for "conduct unbecoming" but apparently they don't plan to do that.

Comment

In general, what are the terms of this so-called contract? In other words, does the contract provide a term, rate of pay grounds for either party to terminate the relationship, etc.?

Forgive my cynicism, but I am having difficulty believing that a recent graduate is in a position that necessitates an employment contract ... but I have been surprised before.

Comment

I am one month from graduating from college and had accepted a written offer to work at the company I seriously doubt he has an employment contract but rather a written job offer.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X