This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• railroaded Texas

hello, I started my work 1 year ago (more or less). 3 months later was awarded team leader. well i didnt have good results. so 1.5 monthes ago i stepped down from my position. when my boss asked me why it was that i never did take to my "crew", so i told him that i thought that it was his constant behind my back riddicule of me to my "crew". somthing that i always suspected but had no proof of untill talking to my head team leaderwho verified. latley i had hit my hand with a hammer on company time. no one was around so i called my boss and left a message of what happend. i went home and basically self medicated. when i got back to work i simpliy wanted light duty which endeed up to be 1 week. they said i did things all wrong and that i should have followed the procedure. i start getting more and more defesive . so i asked for coppies of my signed original of that procedure. well they dont have them. and now just yesturday i went to work and my boss told me that my computer was confiscated due to the fact that some important files have been erased from my very computer. a preventive maintenance check list that i made up. words were said by both of us and he told me to go home till wednsday when the results are back from the I.T. guys. so I called th G.M. and asked for an open door policy with my manager being ther also. I havent been fired yet but i know wher it is going. I will be vindicated on the filles but if they still fire me do i have a leg to stand on.

You haven't been fired yet but Tx. is an at-will state where you can be fired at any time for any reason the employer gives as long as it isn't illegal (ie due to sex, age, religion, etc.) . . .or you have a contract to the contrary. It's just like you can quit at any time for any reason.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Joe - I think if you would go through & check previous threads re at-will employment, you will see other posters would give the same illegal exceptions as me - race, sex, age. . . I haven't seen anyone type out all the other exceptions you gave. They are true but most situations they don't apply in -- like this OP is concerned about being terminated due to work results/not following procedures which would be legal reasons.
      I agree OP could not be fired just for filing a WC claim.
      Betty
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

okie dokie. Betty

Comment

I'd rather keep things relevant to the post, however. And I sincerely hope that no poster is making decisions as to whether or not to consult legal counsel based on what they are told by strangers on a message board.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

While you can not be fired because you filed a WC claim ( assuming you even did), you can be fired for not getting along with your crew, your boss, "having words" with coworkers, not cooperating with an investigation, deleting files the employer did not want deleted, or not following established company procedures whether or not they have "proof" that you signed a copy of the policy.

Just so you know, when there is a work injury, light duty is not required and most certainly isn't when you have not sought medical attention. Even restrictions placed on you by a doctor would not require light duty be offered. Now any decent employer is going to work with you as much as possible to meet those restrictions but if all they have is your interpretation of what you can and can not do for a period of time you request, that isn't going to fly.

If you haven't filed this as a claim, do so. If you need to seek medical treatment, do so. I'd suggest losing the attitude and agruing with your employer and manager here as you are only giving them a legal and legitimate reason to fire you; one which is very difficult to overcome by claiming WC retaliation.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X