Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fired by family member for refusing to sign illegal document.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired by family member for refusing to sign illegal document.

Hello,
    I have been working for a family member for 35 years. The owner owns another business that required relicensing. However he could not renew his license because he owes the company I work for $200,000.00. He couldn't or wouldn't pay that off. So he came to my office and threw a piece of paper at me that says I owe the company $200,000.00, in order to get his license renewed. I said I'm not signing that, at the time I didn't even know what it was. He insisted on me signing it, without an explanation. I refused, he then told me I am fired. Afterwards, not knowing what I was going to do, as that business is all I know. I went back to him and after a heated conversation I signed the paper.

I never felt good about it. I felt he bullied me into doing something illegal. But I took it because I didn't feel I had choice. Since then our relationship felt stressed. Fast forward a month or so and he tells me he has to hold my checks for a bit to get the company caught up. Again I was not happy but had no choice. I don't have savings and that put a real financial Burdon on me. I started selling my personal things to survive while this goes on. I kept thinking he will give me my checks soon. Today is month three. Two days ago with no other choice I had to go to him to ask for money, he tells me there is none. The conversation turns heated as I have been working the entire time with no pay. A couple hours later I get a text from him to come clean out my desk.

To keep it somewhat short I will leave it here. This is a man, that is a known to be a bully and always doing things that would be considered unethical even illegal and always gets away with everything. I'm sure if I wasn't a family member this would be considered highly illegal. I'm just not so sure in a family run business if I have the same rights. I have my whole life invested in that place and would like to know what my recourse could be.

Thank you
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X