This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hurt at work settlement question

husband hurt back while working at food lion in north carolina. had surgery for ruptured disc. received a 10% disability rating. he still has sharp pains down leg and hip. he also has burning in both feet. the insurance wants to pay him just under 7000.00 and offered an undisclosed sum if he resigns his position. what do you advise?

That is really something that is best left to a lawyer who has all the medical facts in front of them, as well as details about your husband's prognosis and work abilities.

There are many sorts of settlements and each has its advantages and disadvantages. It is hard to know what kind you are speaking of without reviewing the actual documents. If this is a traditonal permanent partial disability claim, the amount is set by law but future medicals are covered for life. 7K is high for a 10 % disability so I'm thinking it may be a full and final settlement, which pays a premium to close out the medicals going forward. Essentially the "extra" amount is to cover those. It is generally not advised to do a F & F if the employee still works for you as future injuries would still be compensible. In that case, and additional premium is usually paid in exchange for the person's resignation. It is perfectly legal.

Whether the amount is adequate is based on many many factors, none of which can really be addressed via bulletin board. This is why you really need to have a lawyer representing your interests at this point. These are legally binding documents and they have lasting implications, so it is not a DIY project. It is also not a free bulletin board kind of project.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by bk112560
      husband hurt back while working at food lion in north carolina. had surgery for ruptured disc. received a 10% disability rating. he still has sharp pains down leg and hip. he also has burning in both feet. the insurance wants to pay him just under 7000.00 and offered an undisclosed sum if he resigns his position. what do you advise?
      Make sure that you can live on what they give him cause when you have back surgery you always hurt in your back from then on....

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X