X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA workman's compensation

Hello,
    I live in PA and I work as a nurse Per Diem at a hospital and I injured my neck lifting patients. As prescribe by the Workman's compensation doctors, I am on light duty.
    I found another job. The new job offers Blue Cross and Blue Shield, which is relevant to one of my questions.
    If I quit the current job, will workman's compensation continue to provide me with medical treatment for this injury? Can or will the insurance company at the new job provide me with medical care for this injury? If my neck gets better and later on the problem reoccurs, will the insurance company reject
    a claim?
    Any insight will be appreciated.
    Thanks

The workers comp carrier from your original employer will still be responsible for any medical bills associated with the injury. The health insurance carrier at your new job will have no liability for them at this time; it is about 100% certain that they exclude coverage for work related injuries. If you should be injured at your new job, THEIR workers comp carrier will take care of it, not the BCBS - they certainly wouldn't be responsible for work related injuries from a different position.

Whether they will be responsible for any related injuries in future will depend on how clearly they can be tied to the initial injury.

The bottom line is that the BCBS policy at your new job is not responsible for any work related injuries, no matter where or when they occur. Work related injuries are the responsibility of the associated workers comp carrier; the BCBS policy is only responsible for NON work related injuries.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If I quit the current job, will workman's compensation continue to provide me with medical treatment for this injury? Changing employers does not change your former employer's liability for your work injury.

Can or will the insurance company at the new job provide me with medical care for this injury? No. Responsibility for payment of your medical bills resides soley with the employer you were working for when you were injured.

If my neck gets better and later on the problem reoccurs, will the insurance company reject a claim? That's rather complicated to answer. Basically, the original employer's WC carrier is liable for your injury until you have reached maximum medical improvement and your claim is closed. There are just too many unknowns to even guess at what may happen in the future if the problem reoccurs.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X