This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reduction in vacation & sick hours

I have worked for this company in Illinois for 18 years.
    We do have a handbook listing vacation & sick pay accural.
    I have been receiving 4 weeks vac pay (8 hr day) for last few years.
    I have always worked a min. of 40 hrs or more per week. A little over a
    year ago I was diagnosed w/breast cancer. I received chemo, radiation,
    surgery. Through all of this I worked almost every day, except for sick time
    after surgery, but only averaged 6 hrs per day for the last year.
    My company has now informed me that my vac. pay from now on will only
    be 6 hr. day pay, until I come back full time. I am also looking at reconstruction this year, and am sure they will only pay my 6 hr. sick pay even
    though the handbook clearly state 'full pay'.
    According to our handbook I have met all the requirements for full pay.
    I understand that a company does not have to offer sick pay or vacation pay
    but since they do and it is in a handbook, can they get away with this
    reduction in pay hours. Do I have a leg to stand on if I want to pursue this.
    Thank you

If everyone who only works 6 hours a day gets their vacation accrued at the rate of 6 hours, then you can have your vacation accrued at only 6 hours while you are working that schedule. You can't be singled out, but you don't get special privileges, either.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

So you are saying that your vac hours are only as good as the last year you worked, no matter how many years and vac time you had before that and no
      matter what the handbook says.
      I guess I should have asked for more vac hours when I was working an
      average of 60 hours per week for a full year for this same company. It's funny
      how they didn't recalc. my vac hrs then.
      Oh yeah and "only" worked 6 hrs a day was a big acheivement for me.
      Sure I want "special treatment". I am a very good employee and they know
      it. I honestly feel that I have earned that vac. time & feel I am being
      punished for getting sick.
      Last edited by redwing; 02-02-2006, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I am saying that there is nothing in the law which prohibits an employer from changing their policies on vacation and sick time, and nothing in the law which entitles you to collect 8 hours of vacation time when your work day is only 6 hours - UNLESS you and only you have to follow that policy AND your being required to follow that policy is in violation of discrimination laws.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X