Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Termination of independent in California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Termination of independent in California

    I was terminated in Augest from a Life Insurance company where I was a independent contractor. I am yet to recieve my final pay for buisness that was paid to my employer prior to my termination. I have left phone messages and spoke with my old boss. I have also recieved a letter from one of the companies that we did buisness with in regards to A charge back. I curently owe them 734.87. However my old employer owes me over 1200 dollars and has stated that i have not been paid because he is working on the charge back issue. I am stuck on what to do next. I unfortunetly dont know my rights in dealing with this old employer. Should I pay the amount owed and then make my old employer pay me in full. Pluse I have been unable to get a response from my old employer other then he is working on it. What is the next step?

  • #2
    If you agree that you owe them the charge-back and they agree that they owe you the $1,200+, then I don't see what the problem is - they can just deduct the charge-back from what you owe them and cut you a check.

    Anyway, since you were not an employee you do not have the legal protections an employee enjoys. If the company refuses to pay you what you are due, your recourse is to sue them in small claims court.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.