This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terminated while on workers comp in michigan

I was recently terminated while on workers comp in michigan.Can i be terminated.My boss said all of this is costing too much. That is the only reason for firing me. Can i sue. Am i eligiable for unemployment comp. What can i do. Please help.

Unless your job is still protected under the FMLA (and you didn't give us nearly the details we need to know that), if you have exhausted whatever leave the company policies allow for, and are still not able to return to work, they can legally terminate you. Interesting, though, that the employer would say that this is "costing too much", since your employment status with the company does not affect your worker's compensation benefits, nor the obligation for the employer, through work comp, to cover medical expenses related to your injury.

Contrary to what many people believe, it is not inherently illegal to terminate an individual who is on worker's comp.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff c
      I was recently terminated while on workers comp in michigan.Can i be terminated.My boss said all of this is costing too much. That is the only reason for firing me. Can i sue. Am i eligiable for unemployment comp. What can i do. Please help.
      Well that was a stupid decision on your employer's part becasuse your WC claim isn't going to cost them any less whether you are on the payroll or not. I suggest you speak to a worker's compensation attorney. If you were terminated in retaliation for making a WC claim, you may well be able to file a complaint with your State's WC Division.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X