Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Fired in Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fired in Florida

    I was injured on April 2nd. I reported it the next day to my boss. I worked for a week with the pain until I couldn't stand it any longer. My last day was April 10th. Then called in to say I need a Dr. What do I do? They did not get back to me. Nor did they get back to me when I faxed them with questions.
    My employer did not file a claim with the insurance Company even after 2 trips to the ER. I filed the claim myself with the carrier (which I didn't even know I could do) on April 28th. They denied my claim. They said I had no witness to the accident.
    My employer sent out a letter to me on the 29th of April stating I had been terminated as of April 10th. Hope this isn't too confusing. The point I guess is.. CAN THEY DO THAT???
    I'm so disgusted with the whole system. It all seems very unfair.

  • #2
    Florida Workers Compensation

    Florida statute does not permit the retaliatory termination of persons filing a workers compensation claim. You should contact the state for help:
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    • #3
      Thank You Lillian..One more Question

      Thank you for your help. If I decided to file a claim against the employer, Would a workers comp attorney handle this?
      I have an attorney, but communication with me is not their priority. I can't even speak with an attorney when I call them.


      • #4
        Retaliation in Florida

        A workers compensation attorney may be able to assist you. Another type of lawyer that protects employee's rights is an employment and labor law attorney, specializing in represent plaintiff's.
        Lillian Connell

        Forum Moderator


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.