This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

I was injured approxamatley 1 year ago. my lawer said that it is in my best intrest to settle. I really did not want to settle because i wanted a second opinion. The doctor they sent me to only prescribed pain pills and anti inflamitories. Well the doctor put me back to work i coplied with everything they told me to do. Well about a couple of months later i was fired do to me making a mistake. I have had an attorney for the entire time. After this I was forced to settle because i now am jobless i applied for unemploment and they refused it . well i signed the papers to settle last month on the 13th i was told that it would take up to 4 weeks to get my settlement check. Well 5 weeks going on 6 now i still have not recieved anything and now when i call my attorney i alwys get she is not avalible , she is out to lunch, she is with another client , so on and so on. How long does it usually take to recieve the settlement. Please helpon some leagle advise if any.
    thank you
    Last edited by jinflorida; 08-19-2005, 11:28 AM. Reason: want to be more specific

Call the attorney and tell her secretary that you are going to "file a complaint with the state bar association unless she starts returning your calls."

Demand to know where the money is. If this doesn't work, come back on here and I'll help you file your complaint with the bar association (the group that regulates lawyers).

Comment

Originally posted by jinflorida
      I was injured approxamatley 1 year ago. my lawer said that it is in my best intrest to settle. I really did not want to settle because i wanted a second opinion. The doctor they sent me to only prescribed pain pills and anti inflamitories. Well the doctor put me back to work i coplied with everything they told me to do. Well about a couple of months later i was fired do to me making a mistake. I have had an attorney for the entire time. After this I was forced to settle because i now am jobless i applied for unemploment and they refused it . well i signed the papers to settle last month on the 13th i was told that it would take up to 4 weeks to get my settlement check. Well 5 weeks going on 6 now i still have not recieved anything and now when i call my attorney i alwys get she is not avalible , she is out to lunch, she is with another client , so on and so on. How long does it usually take to recieve the settlement. Please helpon some leagle advise if any.
      thank you
      Once the settlement is signed by you it goes to the opposing attornies, they sign it and return it to your attorney. Then it is sent to the Judge's office for the judge to sign. Sometimes all of that takes quite awhile, on average in Fl. it takes 4 to 8 weeks to recieve settlement check. (Papers had to be re-done in my husband's case, so it took 3 months).

Call your attorney's office, but don't ask to speak to the attorney, instead ask to speak to his/her's legal secretary. They are usually the ones who have access to more info on how it's progressing than the attorney does. State that you were told it would be 4 weeks, it's now been 6 weeks and would they please check to see what the hold up is, and ask them if there is anything you can do from your end to assist in resolving this. Remember, they don't get thier money until the check comes so they should be very helpful. If not, then do what other poster suggested- threaten to go to the ABA.

I know it's very hard to wait, but the money will come.
      xena

Comment

Assist

I will be very happy to assist you please contact me via private e-mail at [email protected] or you can call me at 217/390-4299 Linda ie LMay

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X