This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC and FMLA (California)

I have been out on disability since January due to a work injury. Today (4/7/05), I received a letter from my employer that my disability leave is classified as FMLA and has ended 4/13/05. Can my leave be classified under both workers' compensation and FMLA? Are there any negative consequences besides not being eligible for another FMLA in the next 12 months? Also, can my employer provide notification retroactively? Thanks!

Fmla

First of all, your leave cannot be applied retroactively. So, I hope, for their sake, that you were informed that you are on an FMLA before now. Assuming they did, a workers compensation leave and an FMLA leave can occur simultanteously. The purpose of a FMLA leave is to protect your job during that period. If the FMLA coverage ends, your employer can terminate your employment. So, in a sense, that may be seen as a penalty but a legitimate one.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Late FMLA Notice for WC Injury

Since I did not receive any prior notice from my employer that my workers' compensation leave is also classified as FMLA, do I have a right ask my employer to reevaluate my FMLA to start on the date of my notice and not retro. back to January. Is this written in the law somewhere so I can cite it to my employer?

Comment

WC and FMLA

Your employer must notify you, re: your FMLA leave, as opposed to the workers compensation leave. I don't believe that you can force your employer to extend your leave. You can read more about FMLA notification requirements at: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

California's workers compensation requirements may be found at: http://www.dir.ca.gov/DWC/dwc_home_page.htm
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X