This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workmans Comp Texas

I am a contract laborer, and I was injured at work ,how do I get my medical bill's paid ? I have a broken hand ,broken in several place's.I have no private insurance,and can not work now due to the broken hand.I have had two other injuries at the same place of employement,to my eye and had to go to the local emergency room for treatment both time's.I live in a rural area of texas ,so any state office's or Gov.office's are long distance to call and to vist.My employer has not even called me to ask if I need any medical help.What can I do now?

Independent Contractor

My first question to you is, "are you sure you meet the qualifications of being an independent contractor?" All too often, employers will classify an employee as an independent contractor just to avoid paying things such as workers compensation. Youc an learn more about the independent contractor vs. employee relationship at:http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs13.htm

If you should have been classified as an employee, you can file a complaint with the US Department of Labor. I would also file a claim with the Texas Workers Compensation Department, letting them know that your employment status is being investigated.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Thank You For The link,I did not even know that a person had to meet certian standards to be a contract laborer.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X