This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really dont want surgery

my question is..oh let me explain..i crushed my right domain hand at work almost 2 months ago.mainly my finger pointer middle and ring finger..i had movement in those fingers the night i did it.but after 4 days lost movment.i got back some movment in my pointer and ring finger, but my middle finger is stuck stright.my doctor had me going to therpy which was helping with my pointer nad ring finger..but felt that i need a hand speicalist..which workmans comp and my case manger chose..the momnent the doctor walk in the room he said nothing but surgery would help me..now i pretty sure that once you mess up your tendens thats pretty much it..but he wants to do surgery on all 3 fingers with skin grafting and such ,its a long surgery 21/2 to 3 hours..i was to go today for the surgery but canceled due to the weather..its snowing real bad and its a hour and a half away from here .do i really have to have the surgery..i mean my hand is diabled and even after surgery it will be disabled ..the doctor said i was hopeing to get 50 % use back but was pretty sure he would get back 25 %..i kinda have that now in my pointer and ringer finger and they are pretty usless..i was thinking about the pain of this which,,isnt nothing now..i was told it would be very very painful aFTER.the surgery..could take up to a year to recover totaly ftom it..and i might not get more then i have now..because as i see it..yeah id have a little more movement but my hand would still be useless..so if i chose noit to have it how would it hurt or not hurt my case?i am back at work right now working with one hand..this doctor has taken over my care so im not going to therpy right now either..he said it wouldnt help me any way.
    Last edited by donlyn; 12-14-2004, 07:00 AM.

You are the person who gives final approval for surgery on you. If you do not want surgery, you do not need to have surgery.

I suggest that you get a 2nd opinion before getting surgey. To find out the rules about getting a 2nd opinion under Workers' Compensation in your state, go to this website, http://www.afscme.org/otherlnk/weblnk27.htm#state, and click on your state.

Good luck.
    In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Comment

Workers Compensation

Be very careful when refusing treatment. Though you certainly don't have to have a surgery when you don't want to, you need to make sure that it isn't seen as refusing to comply with the requirements of workers compensation. You don't want to endanger your workers compensation for the future. Good luck.
      Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
      www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

lawyer

i talked to my workcomp lawyer,and he said if i didnt get the surgery,,it wouldnt be non complying,,because i did go to the doctor and heard what he had to say..as for a 2nd opion id have to pay for it, indiana is such a backwards state,so thank you for your help..i have chosen not to have the surgery i been though enough ,the only thing im looking at right now if my company has no work to acomadate me i may lose my job but there is a fight the to because of the diabley act laws..but i am going to try for prement disably.to bad i couldnt sue the company i am about the 50 th person who got hurt on this machiane.it old and has been rig to do what they want it to do..i did check in to that too.

Comment

Good luck.
          In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X