This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing claim against wrong employer Florida

An employee filed for unemployment compensation, was denied and appealed and won their appeal. However, the employer has noticed that the employee filed for compensation from a company that is no longer in business and is not in fact the company that they worked for. Can the employer appeal on grounds that they filed against the wrong company and if so does it start the process over again?

Are you saying that the employee never worked for this employer, and yet the employer's account is being charged?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The company they are filing against is no longer in existence. It was a company with a similar name and yet that was not detected until after it got to the second appeal.
      For example, employee worked for XYZ of Tampa but XYZ of Tampa is now XYZ, Inc. with a different FEIN number. Did that clear it up??

Comment

No, it made it worse.

Is the company that is being charged the new ownership of the company that the employee worked for?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

No, the former company is being charged

Comment

I'm still confused. If the company that was the former owner is being charged, why is this a problem for the new owner?
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

1) XYZ of Tampa...no longer in business (The company they are filing against is no longer in existence. )

2) XYZ Inc., in business, no affiliation with #1, and never employeed this EE.

3) XYZ Inc. is being charged with the UI claim...(?) (It was a company with a similar name and yet that was not detected until after it got to the second appeal.
              )

XYZ Inc, with the documentation, appeal the appeal decision. Should not be liable for this claim.

Does that help...?

Comment

Yes, thank you. I am sorry I made it so confusing.

Comment

Okay, now I think I've got it.

One more question though - are you the employer who is being charged? If not, who are you, and why do you care?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X