This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary training are we covered? Ohio

I am a Firefighter in Ohio and the discusion has come up actualy resulting in firefighters not being able to go to off site training due to budget constraints, the firefighters were willing to go voluntarily but denied due to the fire chiefs opinion that if injured they would not be covered by Ohio workers comp., though these are trainings to further education of work related duties, and benifit the division as a whole. Just wondering if there is any actual case material or if any one has an answer to this question. Are we coverd if it is department recomended, benificial to the department, required etc, But attending unpaid/off the clock.

Your Risk Manager should be able to tell you.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If you go here...http://www.ohiobwc.com/downloads/bla...ORC4123.01.pdf you will find in section 4123.01 (A)(1)(ii)
      Off-duty firefighters, whether paid or volunteer, of a lawfully constituted fire department.
      though these are trainings to further education of work related duties, and benifit the division as a whole. Just wondering if there is any actual case material or if any one has an answer to this question. Are we coverd if it is department recomended, benificial to the department, required etc, But attending unpaid/off the clock.
      The issue would/could rather be IS the injury/illness (if there is one) AOE/COE. Arising Out of your Employment/during the Course Of your Employment ?
      So, it's not so much a question of the off site training being recomended, or beneficial to the dept., is it required, and probably a normal paid function of your employment?
      Just because you volunter for a particular function, or training seminar, doesn't mean you are covered, or automatically precluded from coverage under the ER's WC plan.
      if it is department recomended, benificial to the department, required etc, But attending unpaid/off the clock
      You're kinda squeezing two issues here...if you are a 'paid' EE, and the ER requires this training or state mandated to keep a certification up to date, and you are normally paid for attending these sessions... just because you 'volunteer' for this does not relieve the ER from liability.

I would do as Patty suggests and check with the Risk Mgr. I don't know that I'd walk in though and toss around a labor code, or WC reg/statute.

You can find BWC Rules, Statutes, Executive Orders and Public Hearings
      http://www.ohiobwc.com/basics/guided.../ORCandOAC.asp

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X