This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• similar situation...

i am in a similar boat and can't seem to get a completely straight answer. it's really amazing how few people out there seem to truly know unemployment law. anyway, i was a trader at a small hedge fund. i was let go, and now would like to open an individual account, and pretty much day trade it. i could have profits (or losses) immediately, as well as expenses. does anyone know if i can continue collecting unemployment? and, if i can, and then say i make a decent living doing this come the end of the year, how would the money that i collected from unemployment be treated, should i have to pay it back?

The answer is going to be more or less the same as it was in the thread you attached this to - the answer is both state and situation specific and you will need to check with the UI office of your unnamed state.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

i was a trader at a small hedge fund. i was let go, and now would like to open an individual account, and pretty much day trade it. i could have profits (or losses) immediately, as well as expenses. does anyone know if i can continue collecting unemployment?
      Agreed to cbg...
      But, just thinking 'out loud'... IF you were to enter into what you are describing, with the intent of ''earning'' a profit, that could be considered self employment...it is a 'business'...you are the sole propriorter, and whether you make a profit/loss would not be the issue.

UI benefits are not paid while a ''unemployeed'' individual takes a stab at becoming 'self employed'.

You are either available for work if offered, and actively seeking employment, or you aren't.

But, surely this is not what you are intending to do...

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X