This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fired while still under workerscomp? Illinois

Iam john 35 years old and hurt my back and neck back in 2006, In 2007 of dec i had back sergery and 2008 of may i had neck sergery, I went threw my pys therp and got my workerscomp checks, But the last 3 months my doc told me to go back to work for light duty on docs resticions. Well i showed and the company told i was ask to leave the work site and come back and i got them to sign it on the docs note and the next month same thing he siad try light duty and the work told again you are not to be on the work site and we are not signing no papers or taking no docters notes. 3rd month same thing was ran of the work site again and a week later i get a letter saying they been trying to get of hold be to do light duty work and i failed to show up which they have never called or mail anything to me. But as iam reading this letter she also goes on and says we also look in on what your doc said of what type of light duty work i can do and she said we dont have any of that type of light duty work for and so we have termintated you from your job. Now i still get my workerscomp checks and still un docs care. But can my job be termintated while under workerscomp? I live in chicago ill, ty john

Yes, you can be terminated on WC - WC does not offer job protection. It just pays you while you are off on leave & can't work. If the co. does not have any light duty work for you, they don't have to make up a job.

If you were covered by FMLA, it only provides up to 12 weeks of job protected leave in each 12 month FMLA period.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

business as usual

Originally posted by juniorjed View Post
      Iam john 35 years old and hurt my back and neck back in 2006, In 2007 of dec i had back sergery and 2008 of may i had neck sergery, I went threw my pys therp and got my workerscomp checks, But the last 3 months my doc told me to go back to work for light duty on docs resticions. Well i showed and the company told i was ask to leave the work site and come back and i got them to sign it on the docs note and the next month same thing he siad try light duty and the work told again you are not to be on the work site and we are not signing no papers or taking no docters notes. 3rd month same thing was ran of the work site again and a week later i get a letter saying they been trying to get of hold be to do light duty work and i failed to show up which they have never called or mail anything to me. But as iam reading this letter she also goes on and says we also look in on what your doc said of what type of light duty work i can do and she said we dont have any of that type of light duty work for and so we have termintated you from your job. Now i still get my workerscomp checks and still un docs care. But can my job be termintated while under workerscomp? I live in chicago ill, ty john
      That's what company's try to do, go to the eeoc and let them know how they treated you. And you can't be fired and still receive a paycheck. And where I worked they do find light work. In fact you would still have a cast on your leg or arm and they would get you back to work, unless you were on pain killers, then they would send you home. And I want to tell all of the respondents something, laws are being passed that they can have a camera in the bathroom if they want to. Some places of employment want to make sure you wash your hands. So much for keeping your mouth shut about situations. Good luck with your situation.

Comment

It is extremely hard to read your post but from what I gather you tried to return to light duty by just arriving at the worksite but were told there was no work or that they could not accommodate you then. Did you fax the note or call first or make sure the note made it to the appropriate place? If an employee just shows up randomly one day and says they need a job with X,y,z requirements, even the most accommodating employer is going to be hard pressed to set that up immediately. The longest your employer would have to hold your job if you qualified was 12 weeks. After that, they can terminate. It sounds as though you were out much longer than that. Employers are not required to offer light duty however.

WC is independent of employment. If you are unable to work due to your accident you should still receive benefits from the WC carrier.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Workers comp issues are not handled by the EEOC.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
            Workers comp issues are not handled by the EEOC.
            You can tell your story to whoever you want to, let them make the decision.

Comment

But why waste your time telling someone who has no regulatory authority over the situation?
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X