X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blindsided-now begin the questions Illinois

Hello,

I was recently terminated from my job. I worked there for about a year and things, near as I can tell, were going fairly well however I was called in to my supervisior's office and told I was being fired. They ended up citing three reasons and I am curious if in anyone's opinion any of these could end up being construed as misconduct enough to-assuming my employer challenges my claim-be denied unemployment insurance (I filed my claim on Tuesday, the day after I was fired).

-Did not submit daily productivity logs
    -On May 20th me and another employee were told to submit logs of all work related things we did on that day. I submitted 3 on May 22nd-forgot to do so, not given any warnings to submit daily. From that point, I was given no warnings-or any indication whatsoever- to produce this sheet either verbally or in written form until I was actually terminated and then they surprised me saying this was to be done daily.

-Made accounting mistakes
    -I'm not even an accountant. They knew this when they hired me but still foisted several advanced accounting activities upon me which I performed well with a few unfortunate human error exceptions- so there's nowhere to go with this one.

The third one is tricky. Basically my duties changed very rapidly around about November-December and I no longer had time to perform one of the duties that I had been doing since I started working there (EDIT:I never explicitly told anyone that the duty was no longer being performed by me). Was never given an clear direction to continue the activity either orally or written. It was not found out until last week because of a state examination that the duty wasn't being performed despite me submitting a list of my duties to my supervisor in May which indicated that I wasn't doing this anymore (forgot to mention on my claim-should I call someone about that?). However apparently it was my duty and I was fired for it.

Also, I did sign a notice of termination saying basically that I was being fired because of this stuff but was told upon signing it that that didn't mean I agreed, just that I had gotten the notice. Can this come back to bite me?

I shouldn't worry too much about getting on unemployment since I should mainly worry about getting that next job and putting this behind me but I do feel that there is a chance that I may not have fully explained my case to either my supervisors of the unemployment office because of my shock and am wondering what I can do to voice these concerns. In a few weeks I have an interview with a rep from the unemployment office saying there are "questions" to my claim and I'm wondering if I should try to get some documentation or anything like that (witness are probably a no go) and in general what to expect from this kind of thing

Thanks for your time. Look forward to learning more from the forums.
    Last edited by Laplace's Cat; 06-17-2008, 09:46 PM.

Generally, poor performance is not a reason to disqualify an employee from UI benefits. It's unlikely, in my opinion that any of the reasons you describe would be disqualifying. (My opinion and $2 will get you a cup of coffee.)

Signing any kind of notice almost always indicates only that you have been notified of the employer's view on the matter and not that you agree with it. I can't see how signing the notice of termination can harm you in any way.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I don't see a reason you should be turned down for UI either on what you posted. However, it will be up to the state to decide if you get benefits or not. If you are denied, you can appeal.

When talking to the rep. from the unemployment office, just tell the truth.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Bump-I've added some info which might give a better picture as to the situation as I wrote the original post in a bit of haste.

Thank you again

Comment

I'm not sure what you added/changed; it would be easier for the responders if you just replied on the thread with the additional information.

However, I reread it and I still don't see any red flags that would disqualify you from UI. The interviewer doesn't care a lot about all the detail unless it has a bearing on whether or not you were terminated for a disqualifying reason. And you don't want to muddy the waters by volunteering too much.

Explaining what concerns? To the interviewer?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            I'm not sure what you added/changed; it would be easier for the responders if you just replied on the thread with the additional information.

However, I reread it and I still don't see any red flags that would disqualify you from UI. The interviewer doesn't care a lot about all the detail unless it has a bearing on whether or not you were terminated for a disqualifying reason. And you don't want to muddy the waters by volunteering too much.

Explaining what concerns? To the interviewer?
            Right, I was mainly worried that I wouldn't be able to properly explain my side of what happened.

Well today I did have my "interview" basically I was asked why I was fired-pretty much same explanation I gave here-whether or not I was ever told to stop performing that maintenance activity (wasn't explicitly told) or if I had recieved any warnings about that or any of my other performance issues (none whatsoever). In the end he asked me if it was performance related and i told him it pretty much seemed so and that was that.

Well at this point it's out of my hands and I should focus on finding a new job. Thanks for everyone who took the time to read my post and respond.

Comment

Personally, I think you have a good chance.

Good luck on the job search.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                Personally, I think you have a good chance.

Good luck on the job search.
                End result is that I was determined eligible for benefits.

I do have one question however. Basically I was told that a decision would be coming to me in 10 business days, however I ended up getting the decision after 2 business days and it was dated the day after the interview. I am curious if this means that the decision was clean cut that a (successful) appeal by my former employer-in the event that one is filed-is unlikely to succeed with the current information.

Thanks
                Last edited by Laplace's Cat; 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laplace's Cat View Post
                  End result is that I was determined eligible for benefits.

I do have one question however. Basically I was told that a decision would be coming to me in 10 business days, however I ended up getting the decision after 2 business days and it was dated the day after the interview. I am curious if this means that the decision was clean cut that a (successful) appeal by my former employer-in the event that one is filed-is unlikely to succeed with the current information.

Thanks
                  It means that they had time to finish their paperwork that day. The 10 day thing is a "CYA" clause. (In case they have to look up further paperwork or laws.)

For the future, complete your paperwork and flush twice.

Happy job search.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X