This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can I expect New Jersey

I had an accident slip and fall at work. I've been rated 70% disabled by my lawyers doctor. haven't received the the companies doctors reports yet. I had fusion done to three levels L4-L5-S1. I see that max payments are only 400 weeks. Im 35, that will only get me to 45. What about the rest of my life?

i got companies report now

one ime says 4% the other 17 1/2%

Comment

PPD isn't going to be for the rest of your life unless it is a perm total (100%). I don't know what your current medical condition is like or what your limitations now are or your employment abilities but 70% in WC is basically an invalid. 4 or even 17% seems low for a 3 level fusion. Don't get hung up on the numbers as they really mean little in terms of what you can do. The lawyer's IME is usually really high and the carrier's low. The final % agreed to or awarded by the commission is somewhere in between. Most that involve surgery are in the 20-30% range. If you have a lot of limtiations and ongoing treatment as a result, it may be a bit higher. If you are doing much better now that you have had surgery, it may be a bit lower. Since you have a lawyer, I'd talk to him or her about what to realistically expect given your personal circumstances.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thats exactly the kind of responce i wanted to here. Thanks.

Comment

Ill continue this thread till the end

Ok the insurance asked me for a demand.
          I demanded 60%
          to clear things up they said 21% total ortho and neuro
          1/3 due to spondiliothesis 2/3 due to fall
          going to pretrial in 2wks
          Ill update you then for others if your interested

Comment

If you are demanding 60% and they are countering with 14% + 7% preexisting, I don't hold out a lot of hope for this to resolve by mediation. The numbers are just too far apart. Before responding to the counter, talk to your lawyer about what is reasonable given your actual limitations post surgery. For any given set of outcomes, there is a typical range awarded which you need to be made aware of before you enter into the negotiations. Your lawyer is your best source of this information. I will tell you that the chances of any carrier settling out at 60% are extremely slim, unless you are bed ridden. Anything over 50% is very very rare.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

my lawyer said same thing. he stated that we are trying to get over the hump of I think he said 33%. approx $79,000. My real question is I have a 3rd party suit against a landlord of where i fell. I know that WC will have a lien against my award, but I dont know know exactly what they can recover can you tell me?

Comment

That is a question best answered by your attorney. I do not know how they set up the lien and if there was a deal made limiting the recovery.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X