This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida WC Comp Exemption Question

I work for a small company with 4 employees. My boss and his son, president and vice-president respectively, have a Worker's Comp exemption. We are the parent company to a very small company that has no payroll, and is an active Florida corporation. There are no employees; no wages, no taxes deducted, no 941's filed.

We changed insurance agents after 20+ years with Nationwide. The new guy says we have to have exemptions for the two bosses for the smaller company. It never came up when we had Nationwide.

Since worker's comp is calculated by payroll, how can our small company be bound to having exemptions when we have no employees or payroll? It's not the $50 cost of the exemption, I just need proof that I am right or not. I don't mind being wrong, but it's gotta make sense to me.

I've talked to the State, the agent, the underwiter and have gotten quite a slew of "interpretations." No one can point me to a Florida statute where this issue is addressed. If it's a dang law, it had to be voted on and most certainly recorded somewhere!

Now the new agent wants us to find another. He says I am petty and don't tell the truth. I'm not stopping. I need to know. I want to know. My boss plays by the rules; it's my job to find out how the game is played.

Can anyone help me????

Thanks,
    Marie
    Last edited by MarieSmith54; 09-21-2007, 06:07 PM. Reason: improper wording

Contact the NCCI (National Council on Compensation Insurance). They are located in Boca Raton, FL 561-893-1000 or on the website ncci.com
    go to "customer Care" and you can send them an email asking your question. Hope this helps.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X